Help! My 94 V6 Rodeo will not start

I could not start my 94 Rodeo V6 for a week now. It has 140K miles, runs great.

When I tried to start, I would see dash board lights on first. Then I could hear the clicking sound from the starter. But the car just will not start-- I could not hear anything from the engine. I could still turn the head light on and wind sheild wipe will work too.

However I noticed my CD player will not turn on and I found the Voltage index needle is around 8 V. It will go lower when I attempt to start. And I noticed the vehicle sounds weak 2 weeks ago when I tried to start. Does that simply mean my battery does not have enought juice? If I need a new battery, where is the best place to buy? Walmart?

Thanks for any tip!

Cmbaus

Reply to
rayman

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rayman) jotted down a note in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Just went through this a week ago, the battery PROBABLY needs to be replaced, you could try and charge it and see if it keeps a charge but if it goes down again it is either the battery age, dead cell in battery or your alternator is no longer charging the battery. A way to check the alternator is to jump start it and then unhook the positive battery cable (red one) if it dies right away it is the alternator for sure.

Reply to
DMan

The battery is you likely candidate but I had the exact same symptoms a couple a years ago with my 93 trooper and it turned out to be a bad Starter ground cable.

Along with the Battery make sure that all the grounds are connected tightly.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Thanks man. Do you mind to share with me how to check ground cable & connections? I am not that auto-savvy. Appreciated.

Rayman

Reply to
rayman

With out the proper equipment you are left with looking for loose, corroded, or broken cables. Loose is easy, tug on the cable and if you notice the connector moving then it's loose. Corrosion can be more difficult, sometimes it really obvious and other times you can't tell. Look for deposits around the connectors like rust or other flakey stiff.

Other then that you'll need the proper test equipment and I can't tell you what that is. Your local shop should be able to check it out.

Also look to see if you're battery cables are secured and clean. If not take them off, clean them and put them back on tight. After I posted the first time I remembered that I also had a similar problem when the positive cable would not connect tightly on the battery stub. I had to use a small nail as sort of a shim. Certainly not the ideal fix but it worked.

If you don't find the problem there, I think I'd move onto the starter motor next but I really don't know the proper trouble shooting steps for the problem.

Of course the very fist thing you need to do is make sure the battery is good. Just because the radio works doesn't mean the battery has enough amps to turn the starter.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.