Hole in Silencer

I have a hole in the back of the silencer ('muffler' to those Stateside). Is this repairable (I mean something that will last 12 months plus)? Or am
I in for a new box? If so, do the sections separate reasonably well, or do I need a whole new system?
Thanks.
Paul C.
In the olden days they sold a patching tape you could put over the hole for a passable repair. Wouldn't last much longer than it took to get the car through annual safety inspection, though.
Best thing is a proper repair at a muffler shop... they can cut it out and weld in a new one at a reasonable cost.
BuddyWh