Honda key blanks....

Page 2 of 2

Thank you for the obvious answer. :)
My nearest Honda dealership is about 150 miles away, round trip. I was hoping for something a little more "local", like the Internet, :).
Aaron

You said you didn't like the price on the Internet (that's how I read what you typed). Going to the dealership here was considerably less than the price you mentioned, that's why I suggested a dealership. I wasn't trying to come off as being sarcastic.
Brian

I know that. I apologize. It would be amazing if we could read each other's minds and know that right off. This thread actually morphed off into a discussion about "special" digital keys or whatever. The $80.00 price I posted was not for these types of keys. It was for this particular outfit making an original of a key, one that I already have. In fact, I have two. I don't even NEED another key for this rig. I WANT one. One with the hard plastic at the top of it.
I didn't really say anything about a digital key; yet the thread morphed into this. :) Ah, well.
Aaron

particular
Threads tend to take course changes all the time.

I take the blame for that. I saw the thing about the plastic head and jumped to the conclusion it was a transponder head instead of a comfort grip. D'oh!
Mike

We all got goot discussion out of it just the same. :)
Aaron

Cost is about $10.00 US for an OEM-replica key blank. Take it to a good (i.e., bonded and certified) locksmith to get the key cut. That will cost about another $4.00 for each key. Don't take the blank to a UPS store or the corner hardware store. Those guys probably don't have the skills to cut keys correctly. Incorrect cutting could destroy your locks/ignition switch.
Andy

Which is why I wanted a blank. I have access to a key cutter; but I don't have the blank I want to cut in it. :)
Aaron
ajpdla wrote:

---------------------
In 1995, Honda wasn't using immobilizer style ignition keys in the Odyssey, at least not in Canada.
It started in Canada in '98 year for Odyssey. You can tell if there's a little 'key' icon showing on the speedo cluster during the 'lamp check' Otherwise, any duplicate key will start it.
'Curly'
How about your local dealer? You can even try an Isuzu dealer. The price should be maybe $5 to $10. max. Howard

like
The Internet is more "local" than my dealership. But thanks. :)
Aaron

"Where can I obtain a key blank (with the black rubber handle -- don't know the technical name) for my 1995 Honda Passport." Your 1995 Passport DOES NOT use an electronic transponder key. Any dealer (Honda or Isuzu) should be able to cut you a key for under $10. Your Honda dealer can do it by VIN number if you don't have a spare.
"I believe you can also get a new programmed key with the VIN from Honda." You can not program a transponder key with a VIN number, but you can get a code to cut the key with a VIN.
"I do believe that there may be some sort of serial number on the computer module that may be of use in getting another key blank." No, not correct.
"Your selling dealer keeps the radio code. It is associated with the VIN in case service has to be done, or so you can get it from them if you need it," Only the smart dealers do that. There is no requirement for that, other than making life easier for themselves when working on your car, or providing a customer service.
"In 1995, Honda wasn't using immobilizer style ignition keys in the Odyssey," Correct!
Howard

I guess it must have been mentioned to me during the post sales, or I imagined it to be standard because of a "find answer" on the Honda web site.
"If your Honda vehicle came equipped with an Anti-Theft radio, you should have an Anti-Theft Radio Access Card in your glove compartment. This card contains the access code and the serial number of the radio. If you do not have a card, contact your dealer for assistance."
If the dealer didn't keep the code, he should feel silly when you ask for the code, based on this page.
There is also a Honda Owners link that has my radio code. I don't recall if I entered the code there. It's different from the number that I have on a card attached to my original key. Maybe that one is a key code, and I've already managed to lose my radio code card.
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda
--
---

Not really.
"Ask your dealer for assistance" simply means he can pull the radio, get the radio's serial number, and get the radio security code from that.
He doesn't keep the radio code at all. Only individual salesmen who choose to do so will write it down as a service to their customers. But with the rate of churn in the industry, that's rare. In fact, if you think about the rate of churn with dealership names changing left and right, you'd see how ridiculous it is to expect that the place you bought your car from is even in business a year later.

Yes, the code on your key--a 4 digit one--is the key code. From that, Honda can duplicate the key.
As for your radio code being in OwnerLink, I guarantee that you or someone in your family with access to OwnerLink put it in there. I put it in there for my Honda. It's a convenient place to park the code. Honda doesn't know the code from your VIN, not at all.
In fact, consider: I had the radio replaced in my car, under warranty. The new radio comes with new stickers and a new card, and a completely different serial number. How--more importantly, why--would Honda know if I have the same radio that was installed at the factory?
They don't, and they wouldn't. They don't track that stuff.
Your VIN has nothing to do with your radio security code. Only your radio serial number has any relationship to your security code.

Ouch. That'd be pricey. If they have to actually pull the radio out of the dash, I would imagine that is at least a one hour flat rate job. Maybe not. I put an adapter onto the radio to connect my MP3 player. That required maybe 1/2 hour, and I didn't pull the radio out, just exposed it.

My "internet salesman" was gone before my first return visit. And he was new when I bought the car.

Names? I guess so. The dealer's seem to stay put, but the conglomerates are snapping them up in my area. Several "Lithia" dealerships, but the local Honda dealer has been a Buick/GMC dealership of the same name since some time in the 60's. The Ford dealer just changed names a few months ago, but they have pictures on the walls of Fords in the same building in the 40's.

I think the VIN is a handy way to look up what _was_ there. That would probably be fine for 90% of the owners, and avoid pulling the radio.
--
---

Yep. A hundred bucks to find your radio serial number. This has been discussed here and other places quite a bit over the years, as someone who buys a used Honda and replaces the battery suddenly finds himself facing a radio that says CODE.
Now, if you have a relationship with the dealer, that might be different. Or it might not...

It would be, if Honda used that system. They don't. They don't link the VIN to any individually serialized or coded piece inside the car as they manufacture it. When the serialized radio goes in the car, so does the card and stickers with the radio information. And that's as far as it goes.
Trust me. You can't walk into a Honda dealer with a VIN and have them look up the radio code. Period.