Honda put ATF-Z1 in my Manual Trans and Transfer Case

I told the honda dealer to put 5W30 in my 95.5 rodeo manual transmission and transfer case per the shop manual. My invoice comes back showing ATF-Z1 was put in both. When I questioned the service guy he tells me that that is what their books tell them to put in.

Does this sound right? I think I will be going back and having them put in the proper oil :( Is there any advantage to using ATF in a MT and transfer case?

thanks,

Startoucher1

Correction, the ATF was only put in the manual transmission, not the transfer case.

Startoucher1

ATF in a manual tranny sounds bad to me. The manual on my '94 Rodeo also called for using motor oil, and that's what I used.

I'd def>I told the honda dealer to put 5W30 in my 95.5 rodeo manual transmission and

Reply to
BuddyWh

Reply to
Miles

Thanks for the info. I took the truck back to Honda and had them pull out the Passport manual to show me where it says to use ATF in the Manual transmission. The guy came back and showed me but I told him to look at the top of the page. It said "Automic Transmission". When we turned to the "Manual Transmission" section it said 5w30. Go figure? When the tech arrived he assured me he put the right stuff in and they rang it up wrong at the desk :(

Reply to
Startoucher1

Reply to
milesh

They did actually take the truck back and check as well. What really pissed me off about the ordeal is that the supervisor the night before tried to convince me ATF was OK in Manual transmissions rather than admit there is a problem. The next morning, I ran into the same problem with the guy at the service desk. There immediate instinct is to assume they are always right.

Startoucher1

Hi,

Mercedes uses ATF in many manual Trannys.

My Isuzu manual called for a monograde engine oil in the (combined) tranny and transfer case. That caused shiftability problems in winter, which were resolved by using a oil called Castrol VMX (which is available on the SA market)

A 5W30 engine oil is bad news in trannys, since the shear stability is not given. A ATF without friction modifiers (syn) might be a better choice, but depends on compatibility with seals and other factors.

Reply to
Diesel Fan