HOW do I test this?

How do I test an oil pressure switch for my 86 trooper. PSI range? normaly open or closed? I bought a new one and think it's bad....

do u have a gauge or idoit light?
Both, the light stays on and the gauge reads normal oil pressure (starts out high then as the engine warms up it comes dn a little)

They are normally closed and pressure opens them. The light comes on because it grounds through the switch. If you have a guage and a light, you could simply disconnect the light wire from the switch and use the guage only, but most vehicles these days use a sender (potentiometer) to give the gauge (really an ammeter) a reading. If you really want accuracy, install a real gauge with a line from the oil gallery into the passenger compartment.