I have a trooper/bighorn question..

I know that through licensing and badge engineering the Isuzu Trooper/Bighorn was badged as a Holden, Opel, Vauxhall, Chevy and Honda, but was it ever anywhere in the world badged as a GMC?

I'm in the United Kingdom and a local car lot has what looks like a trooper/bighorn, and with the lotus handling pack badges. But it has a GMC grille badge and no model badging at the rear.

But, it is a diesel, and RHD. I think the US didn't get diesel models, and RHD markets would have had other brands than GMC as it isn't generally a strong brand outside the North American continent.

Any suggestions as to what it is.

Reply to
Elder

Elder, you forgot Acura in that list above! Seriously, I've never seen nor heard of a Trooper being rebranded as a GMC, but consider this: w/o the model branding at the rear, is it possible that somebody in the UK loves GMC enough that they put a GMC grille badge on it? As an aside, GM used to own about 50% of Isuzu... I'm not sure if they still do, but they did.

If the truck LOOKS like an Isuzu, you should be able to find some Isuzu parts under the hood. That would confirm it. The VIN should also represent what Isuzu puts on their vehicles. If you need help understanding the VIN, please ask. What does the owner's manual state as the model? If it's a diesel, it wasn't sold in the US after about 1990.

IF it looks like a Isuzu Trooper, and it Smells like one, it probably IS one, and if the price is right, and the engine is running well.... I'd go for it. When you figure out what it is, please let us know! r/ Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

The tax disc says Isuzu and a quick check on the DVLA website lists it as an Isuzu, so it probably is.

It disappeared over Xmas, but it is back on their car lot. DVLA lists it as a 1993 registered in 2004 so probably imported then.

It has tinted windows to rear and a blind over the back tailgate window.

I have some photos.

I can get 19-23mpg from the V8 Celsior, so even a fairly thirsty 4x4 should beat that, particularly if I can add a small ammount of veg oil (upto 30%) into the mix.

Reply to
Elder

That's an Isuzu Trooper. Was there really a Lotus handling package for that vehicle, or is that someone with a sense of humor?

Reply to
rm

It is a Trooper/Bighorn then. I know the diesel Trooper in the UK was manual, and the JDM import bighorn diesel has an auto option and yes, there were Lotus and Irmscher handling editions, the lotus was a standard beefed up suspension system, and the Irmscher used fancy electricery on the swaybars to tighten things up on road.

If it is still there at the weekend I might go and grill the place selling it see what they know about it.

Reply to
carl.robson

Wow...that's pretty interesting! I'd love to know more about how it ended up that way (GMC logos and "Handling by Lotus"). That would especially neat to see here in the USA...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

The Handling by Lots is a standard special edition for the Trooper and Bighorn.

I'm guessing with the GM/Isuzu tie ins globablly, there must be a shared moulding somewhere in the ranges that fits another GMC vehicle. It's hardly a complex shaped grille.

Reply to
Elder

Yup. roger all. When I saw your pictures, that was the first thing I said - its a Trooper! I've seen many a Trooper (aka Bighorn) sitting in Japan either on car lots or by the side of the road, abandoned (not that they're junk - Japanese just don't deregister cars sometimes, for many (strange) reasons) that were Lotus or Irmscher packages. If this vehicle runs, and you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd do it. Us Trooper owners here in the US slobber over diesels - and with a good engine bringing about 4K imported, they are worth some money. Good luck - let us know how it goes! Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

The day after it reapearing (it was gone for a few days while they were closed over xmas due to other cars being vandalised), before I got chance, it was gone again.

Shame, I know they can rust underneath but this one looked very solid on top.

Reply to
Elder