Is it OK to go 4x4 when it rains?

Subj. BTW, how much "tear and wear" exactly is 4x4 causing on dry pavement? For example, in cold & dry weather with patchy ice I'd like to engage 4x4 for added stability - would this be (counter)adviseable?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

it depends actually on the components in your vehicle. if you've got a Dana

60 front end (which isuzu's don't) all you'll do is get the tires to hop and howl on a tight turn.... if you've got an IFS w/ CV joints, you stand a real good chance of blowing the CV joint and/or snapping an axle shaft. there's really nothing to gain with running it in 4wd on patchy ice... it simply doesn't help.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I've got Isuzu Trooper 98 with limited slip (rear) diff, and no TOD. Also have Opel Frontera 2000 (Rodeo clone). Both have no center diff, but I've got no idea what sort of components are in there...

Why isn't there nothing to gain with 4x4 on patchy ice? Having it on greatly increases stability both on ice and snow...

Peter

Reply to
Peter

if you're on ice, there is so little traction available that 4wd does nothing but impede your ability to steer. on anything other than ice 4wd is great. one of the lessons you learn driving in 14 Maine (USA) winters.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

4WD certainly does help steering on ice. One of the lessons learned driving in 20 AZ winters. Yes, it snows heavily in AZ and black ice is extremely common here every winter.
Reply to
Miles

Plus I'm on studded tires... these definitely help on ice!

Peter

Reply to
Peter