Is this an Alternator problem?

I've been starting my pickup truck and noticing that most of the light on the console are lit up, the truck runs really bad as well and things like
the fan doesn't work, I have to give it a really good Rev of the engine to kick it back to a normal state, i've checked the voltage on the Battery when it starts bad and i'm only getting 12.8vDC read out, after i give it a good Rev then the Battery shows 14.3vDC which is a normal read out, i've changed the brushes on Alternator thinking that might be all it is....this still did not help any, is it possible this could be the voltage regulator in the Alt. malfunctioning? that was a suggestion from a buddy, if anyone has some feedback, please let me know if there is a load test i can bring it in for, or anything else.
Thanks folks.
get bent wrote:

Don't recall mention of this particular problem here but quite a few folks (myself included) have reported the transmission going into neutral mode and have found the problem to be alternator related. Instead of revving, try turning the engine off and then on again. If this helps (takes it back to normal) it's probably alternator related. Something to do with voltage spiking the computer.
You don't mention the year of the vehicle but there is a recall out there on '94 pickups and Rodeos built after 8/1/94 and includes '95 and 95.5 pickups and Rodeos as well. Call your local dealer and provide your VIN to see if it applies. If it applies the dealer is required to replace the IC regulator in the alternator at no charge to you. Campaign # is 97V-034
> I've been starting my pickup truck and noticing that most of the light > on the console are lit up, the truck runs really bad as well and things like > the fan doesn't work, I have to give it a really good Rev of the engine to > kick it back to a normal state, i've checked the voltage on the Battery when > it starts bad and i'm only getting 12.8vDC read out, after i give it a good > Rev then the Battery shows 14.3vDC which is a normal read out, i've changed > the brushes on Alternator thinking that might be all it is....this still did > not help any, is it possible this could be the voltage regulator in the Alt. > malfunctioning? that was a suggestion from a buddy, if anyone has some > feedback, please let me know if there is a load test i can bring it in for, > or anything else. > > Thanks folks. > >
did you have any joy as i have the same problem with the dash lights and now totally flat battery as lights wont go off with a qiuck burst on the accelorator