Isuzu engines

I am looking for another gas engine for my 87 trooperII it has a 4 cylinder and I looking for a 6 cylinder that will fit right in. Also something that match with the OM parts. Or if there is another manufactor's engine that can replace it with little or no issues.

Reply to
gueido23

I think the Isuzu V6 will fit right in. But why should you. The 4 is a very powerfull and reliable engine. You can't get much better than that. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Yes it is a good little engine. But I am just looking for something a little bit power. It has good responce but if under a load like my litle

15 fishing boat it acts like a typical 4 cylinder. If there is a way to get a little more out of the 4 cylinder, then let me know I am all ears. I would like a little more towing power and an increase in acceleration from a take off.
Reply to
gueido23

Your current engine already is around 160 HP. Not sure the V6 will do much better. Depending on where you are diesel might be an option. Do not know how to upgrade the current engine. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets
160 HP ( !! ?? ) ! There is no normally-aspirated 2.3 that's putting out anywhere near that figure! More like 96 HP if I recall.

Your easiest bet would be to upgrade to an '89-'91 Trooper with a GM

2.8 V6 already installed. This V6 puts out about 125HP stock but with bolt-ons you can probably get closer to 140+HP out of it. And then you have the option of installing a larger motor, a Goodwrench HT 3.4 or a 3.4 out of Camaro/Firebird. Bolts right up to the 2.8 tranny and the biggest mod you have to make is to drill the block on the left side for the starter since Isuzu used the GM FWD 60 deg bolt pattern for their MUA-5 tranny on this rig.

The 3.4 can make between 160-200 hp depending upon modifications. Way more performance than a stock 2.8.

Conversely, if you were to apply this motor to your '87, best bet would be to find a rusty or wrecked 2.8 Trooper so you could pull the tranny, mounts, accessories, etc etc off of it. You'd have to modify your motor mounts somewhat, and you could use a carbureted intake manifold off an S-10 (or use an Edelbrock or Offenhauser aftermarket manifold and Holley 390 Cfm 4-bbl or 500 Cfm 2-bbl).

One caveat on your '87, if it has rear drum brakes it does have the weaker rear-end, on '88's and up the entire drivetrain was beefed up. So a Hot-Rod V6 might be a bit much for the older-style rear end.

Anyway, lots of information on the swap at the following Isuzu sites, don't waste your time with Spammers and misinformation at this site.

Cheers, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays............ed

gueido23 wrote:

Reply to
Ed Mc

2.3 does not exist. We are talking about the 2.6 here. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Thats simply not true. Isuzu made both a 2.3L and 2.6L engines.

The 2.3L was > 2.3 does not exist. We are talking about the 2.6 here.

Reply to
miles

I expect he'll find a carbureted 2.3 under the hood of his '87 unless it's a very late '87 model. Majority of the EFI-2.6's were introduced for the '88 model year.

BTW the little carb'd 2.3 responds quite well to a couple of performance mods, a Delta or Calmini camshaft and less restrictive exhaust. I put a Delta Cams "260" regrind in my '86 Trooper 2.3, along with a cheap turbo muffler. It was getting over 24 mpg on the hiway before it croaked (Dreaded Crack Head Disease !!). I pulled 2500 lbs worth of ski boat and it would go 70 mph down the hiway with ease. Of course it was a bit slower on the hills, but after all it was only a

2.3!!

If you want to really free up the exhaust, replace that restrictive cat along with straightening out the big "kink" in the exhaust piping past the muffler. You can have a muffler shop bend you up a 2" or 2-1/4" exhaust and replace everything from the cat back. It'll make a huge diff in the way it runs, especially combined with an improved camshaft.

HTH & Merry Christmas..........ed

Reply to
Ed Mc

Partly right, Here is the list for the none diesels:

1981 through 1983, 1800 CC Engine G180Z 1984 and 1985, 1950 CC Engine G200Z 1986-on 2300 CC (Actually 2250 CC) Engine 4ZD1 2600 CC (Actually 2559 CC) Engine 4ZE1

The 2.6 is 115 HP, I was wrong there, sorry. You can check all engines here except for the 2.3 V6. It is in German but readable I guess.

Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets