Isuzu hombre '97

Wanted to know if a repair estimate i got recently is accurate. I recently experienced a very loud clicking sound coming from my truck while running. I took it to a local mechanic who whipped out a stethescope type tool and diagnosed me with a valve roller lifter problem. He said the engine is GM even though it says isuzu on it and that the 2.2 liter engines are notorious for this. And even though the part is a cool 29.95 I will be paying about 904.27 for the actual repair after labor, a head gasket set, the roller lifter, a head bolt set, antifreeze, and an oil change. Honestly when I walked in there i wasnt ready for that price. $1000 to fix a problem that could happen to any of the other 3 cylinders next week!? He even told me that he has seen new ones do this...is this a design flaw? Anyway I wanted to get any input from people who may have had this done or have any advice that might impact my wallet, positively, that is. I appreciate any input.

Reply to
bluetang77

He's correct that the engine is GM, essentially. Starting in '96 (I think it was), Hombres were basically the same thing as the Chevy S-10. Other then some difference in the front of the vehicle, and a little bit at the back, there's almost no difference - not anything major anyway. My '96 Hombre was made by UAW workers in Shreveport, LA. Before '96 they were entirely different vehicles.

As to those engines being "notorious" for that, just because I haven't heard of that doesn't mean it isn't so, but I had my '96 until last year, put over 107,000 miles on it, and sold it for a very nice price due to the condition it was in. I also know a number of people who had either that or the Chevy S10, and have not heard that. I have a mechanic I trust completely, and he told me that that particular engine was - in his long experience - not a particularly problematic engine. In fact, the only significant problem I ever had with the '96 had nothing at all to do with the engine.

I'd sure get a 2nd opinion! Perhaps you could check with a Chevy dealer if there's not an Isuzu dealership in the area - they'd at least know that engine quite well. I'm not sure if there's 100% parts interchangeability between the Chevy and the Isuzu engines, but they're mighty close if not. Your mechanic may very well be on the up-and-up, but for that kind of money, I'd want a solid 2nd opinion (unless it was the mechanic I use - and that's a very rare mechanic).

And how well do you know that mechanic? Any experience with him? Did you check the BBB if you weren't particularly experienced with him?

C.R.

Reply to
keyes04