Isuzu Trooper 2000

I got the beast about 1 1/2 months ago. It was well taken cared by its original owner and it has 65k miles on it. Engine light came on after I put
in 700 miles. The code was P0405 indicating the EGR low flow problem. Did a search on the web and found the solution. Sprayed cleaner to the vacuum port and the light went away. The oil consumption was about 1 qt. per 2 gas filled up. It gets only 15 mpg on the highway, $3.29/g. What is the average mpg do you get on your Troopers?
Jeff
jeff wrote:

My question to you is where is that vacuum line , on my rodeo the egr is electric???????????????? just wondering, mine is saying the same thing....
Here is the link: http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/rodeo/egr.htm
Very helpfull!
Wow...pretty low miles for a 7-year old Trooper. Oil consumption may be a little high, but it may vary some with some more driving (since it sounds like you've only got 2-3 tanks of gas thru it). Our 94 Trooper (145k miles) seems to use a bit of oil regularly, but probably not more than 1-2 quarts per oil change (3k miles). Our 2002 was bought new and is now up to 32k miles. It tends to use oil very randomly. It won't use any oil at all for quite some time, and the next thing you know, it's used half a quart...? Troopers use oil...that's just the way it is. Keep a spare quart (or 2) in the handy holder in the back door. :-)
Average gas mileage, 13-15 around town and random driving. On a trip by itself, 18-19 usually. I saw 20 once, but could have been a fluke. Now, towing a travel trailer...well...9-12.
Wesley

Jeff, same as yours. 98 Trooper, 99K miles on it, had it since 44K, never got any better than 16MPG, and as low as 12mpg pulling a trailer, which is also when it gets 300 miles to the quart. Your 1 qt ever 30 gal of gas is normal. Disappointing, but consistent... and as long as it has oil in it, it will probably run fine... best, Steve

In the UK, we have diesel Troopers. Mine is a 2000 Citation 3.0D and has done 120K miles. It has averaged 26pmg (UK gallons). Lowest towing is about 19mpg. On a long run, solo I can get over 30mpg.
Although it must have used a little oil, I haven't needed to top it up between services EVER (6k intervals).
Cheers Andrew
I just looked up the conversion...1.201 UK gallons to the US gallon. Taking that into consideration, 26mpg!.7, 19mpg towing.8. I just got back from a weeklong vacation towing our travel trailer between 600-700 miles at nearly $3us per gallon of gas...and getting 10-11mpg. I want a diesel Trooper!! :-)
Wesley

Wow! I thought I was going crazy about my Trooper's mpg. I get 30+ mpg on my 93 Mazda Protege before getting into this monster. Everyday, I can see the gas meter goes down one needle one way to work and one needle to home. That hurts my wallet.

What did you expect? The Trooper is twice the vehicle with twice the engine of the little Mazda.... :-) I'm actually surprised you didn't get better than that in the car. My daily driver is a 92 Caravan. I used to get 25mpg on a trip with it, 20-22 around town. Nowadays, it rarely hits 20. But still *slightly* better than the Troopers we have... I've had the old van nearly 10 years and driven it 108k so far (192k on the clock). It just doesn't seem to want to give up...
Wesley

19mpg towing is very much a worst case.
I've just got back from a 5 week vacation touring NW Scotland (about 3000 miles in total of which about 1200 miles was towing a 1500kg caravan. The Trooper averaged about 22mpg towing!! Solo, we got over 30mpg (36mpg on one tankfull - must have been downhill all the way!!).
Yes, maybe you do need a diesel Trooper. :-)
Cheers Andrew
Yes...I would like one! :-) Not only that, but that diesel hood scoop is really cool looking.
Are the Troopers in your parts of the world left-hand drive? I wonder what issues there would be importing one to the USA? Anybody ever tried that?
Wesley