Larger tire sizes on 98 Trooper?

Has anyone with a 96-2000 Trooper played with different tire sizes than the stock 245-70R-16 that they come with? I'm due to replace my worn-out set and
wonder if anyone has put a set of 265 75R 16's on (or any other size) and 1) how did they fit; 2) what did they do to your speedometer reading; and 3) did the spare fit in your spare tire carrier?
I've gotta get onto one of those tire-size computers that tells me the total size (I think Costco has one) but simply haven't had the time. Anyone who has been down this road, your advice/experience would be most appreciated. r/ Steve
--
Stephen P. Reimers
Naval Salvage Officer

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 07:01:32 -0800, "SPR"

Steve,
I put a set of 255-70-16 Dayton Timberline AT tires on my '99 Trooper. Bought'em cause Consumer Reports rated them number one. Admittedly, they only tested about a dozen brands. The one performance factor I considered most important was that the Dayton was rated excellent in wet pavement braking; important in Houston.
Using the tire guide at Tire Rack I calculated the circumference of the larger size was only ca. 2%, so the effect on the speedometer is negligible. Only bought four so I don't KNOW if it will fit in the spare cover, but assume it will.
Dayton is a second line of Firestone and were not easy to find in stock here in Houston. Aside from being a quality tire they are relatively cheap. Mine ran $424.00 +/- out the door.
Max

Max and Mohd, Thanks for your posts. I think I'm going to try the 265-70R-16's, which won't change my speedo reading that much (about 3.5%) but will give me a bit larger footprint.... And still fit in my tire carrier (I hope). I'll check first! thanks again, Steve