New Fuel Pump

Just thought I'd drop an info post for everyone.
My 1990 Trooper, 4cyl fuel injection, just started refusing to start.
I went through a lot of unnecessary steps because I didn't check the
fuel pressure first. I did remove the fuel line and cranked the engine, and because fuel came out of the line I didn't bother to actually pressure test it.
After going in to check the timing belt/ ignition timing, distributor, etc. I finally did check the pressure and sure enough is was only a few pounds.
Anyway, if your trooper goes from running to nothing in 1 morning flat, using the fuel pressure gauge may just save you quite a bit of aggravation.
chili_filter wrote:

describe the steps you took to replace the pump? dropping tank to access in-tank pump? drain all fuel? cost of parts?
Hndy wrote:

Had it towed to Pep Boys since I had no pressure gauge and assumed it couldn't be the fuel pump. The rest of my procedure was to eat chips and soda while I waited to hear from them it was the fuel pump I had been so sure wasn't broke.
All in all, $400 for towing, labor, parts and taxes. FYI it was the original 16 year old pump.
I just wish I had bought a fuel pressure gauge myself instead of paying for diagnostic and towing. By the time I had paid for that, it wasn't worth doing it as a shade tree project.
Anyway, good luck, hope this spare someone else some time and money when playing with their trooper.