New to Isuzu / 2001 Trooper

Greetings. I just brought my 2001 4x4 Trooper home and am having some problems.

  1. The check engine light stays on. I've done all I can do under the hood and it won't go off.

  1. The radio has NO reception. I finally figured out the antenna is in the 2 windows in the back, but can't find any leads unattached.

  2. I get an err3 on the cd changer. Probably has a cd lodged in there somewhere. Great. Now I have no tunes at all.

To top it off, it came with no manual. I don't know where to begin when it comes to understanding this vehicle. Any advice for any of my dilemmas would be so appreciated. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes or longer, then hook it back up. Drive the car to your nearest Auto-zone parts store and go in and ask them to come out and read the code for you. If there are any error codes stored, or you make some new ones on your way to the store, they'll be able to tell you what they are and maybe even sell you the parts to fix it. You didn't say how many miles are on your new toy - that's pretty important!

See the answer to 3, below.

You also have a CD changer that's the equivalent of junk. Don't feel bad, we all had one, too. Mine is sitting in the garage somewhere under another pile of junk. Best recommendation - go buy a decent after-market stereo system, and take the Isuzu system out and throw it away. You'll be glad you did.

Look on Ebay for a CD rom. I purchased the actual paper manual for a 1997 model, but it really doesnt' address my 1998's engine. CD rom would have been better for me, and should work for you.

BTW, change your oil now.... so you can determine if your trooper burns it or not. At highway speeds, the 3.5 L engine gets real thirsty. Check your oil at every tank fill, until you know how it does on using oil. Good luck. r/ Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

120K. Lotsa miles but got a good deal.

Any brands recommended? Mine is the 2-piece cassette on top with the separate 5760 model cd changer below it.

I got it at a dealership and they changed the oil. I'll definitely keep an eye on it though. I've noticed that there's not a lot of Isuzu info on the web, at least compared to other makes. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

I changed mine to a single CD Alpine stereo. I bought a mounting kit at a local car stereo shop. To fill the hole where the changer 1/2 was I bought the plastic pocket that Isuzu uses for vehicles sold without the changer. The result was a factory looking installation. A seperate changer could be used as well, I just have no need. The single CD is fine for me. Sound is awesome. I also replaced the cheap door speakers that sounded tinny.

Reply to
miles

I'm assuming the 2001 uses the same radio as the 2002 that we have. Bought it new, so obviously no radio problems. We opted to change it out for a CD/MP3 player so we could have hours of music to listen to on the road as it's primary use is trips and a backup vehicle. You might double-check the radio connections. I found out some info on the radio when installing our new one. There are 2 antennas, one on each window. It is considered a "diversity" system in that it will use whichever antenna is getting better reception at any given moment. When I plugged in the new radio, I couldn't get reception much at all. After talking to a tech at Crutchfield (we're lucky to have a local store, but they do lots of mail-order -

they told me there is an-board antenna amplifier that has to have 12v power coming out of the radio on one of the connection pins...which didn't happen to be a connection on the new wiring harness. I just had to wire it back in and it works great. I told that big story for 2 reasons - you might have a problem with either the antenna amp or power going to it. Secondly, you'll need to know that if you go to install a new radio. :-)

If you keep an eye on Ebay, you can probably pick up a manual...definitely a good thing to have. Unfortunately, I can't offer any assistance on the check engine light. Ours now has just over 20k miles on it...so (knock on wood) no problems yet. :-)

How many miles on it?

Hope you enjoy it as much as we've enjoyed ours. We've actually got 2 of them - a 94 with 132k miles and the nearly new 02. My dad got the first Trooper in the family - a 1990 (old boxy style). I think he's got like 128k on it, and the ONLY thing he's had done outside of routine maintenance was some work on the manual transmission. Then they got a 93 when mom was looking for a new car probably 6-8 years ago - drove a bunch of Explorers but couldn't find anything they liked until they test drove the Trooper. :-) And just when you think it couldn't get any worse, they went out a few months ago and picked up a 94 (nearly identical to ours - even the same color) with only 84k miles on it. And they've all done time in front of either their our our 18' travel trailers...

You just can't beat a good Trooper! :-)

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

And I did exactly the same thing, only I put in a Pioneer Supertuner/CD/MP3 player that will run a remote player. Ditto on the speakers. r/ Steve

Reply to
GreenGas