oil useage

I own an 87 trooper II. I have done the oil changes on it every 3000 miles. I will still use a quart a week if not more sometimse..There is no leaks that I can see of. Also there is no smoke coming from the tail pipe.I am at a lost.

Reply to
gueido23

You don't mention how many miles you have on it, but I'd assume it's over

100K, just due to age. You also don't mention whether it's a 4 or 6 cylinder engine, but it really doesn't matter - try replacing your valve stem seals. It's not hard to do - use compressed air to hold the valves in while you break free the spring retainers and replace the seal cups... and I bet you'll notice a big difference in oil usage. That is, unless you've gotton the engine real hot and taken the tension out of the piston rings, but on a Trooper, usually you'll blow the head gasket first. Hope this helps. r/ Steve
Reply to
GreenGas

Thanks..It has 94000 miles and is 4 cyclender..I have only had it for 9 month..How would I tell it the head casket was blowen..It runs fine with no issues..just uses a lot of oil..

Reply to
gueido23

Diesel or gasoline ? Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

My 2001 Trooper, 6 cyl, uses at 'least' a qt a week. Runs great. I don't worry about it anymore. 130,000 miles so far. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson