possible bad clutch on 86 trooper

My trooper after driving around for a bit eventually starts lurching and dies. me and a friend who knows more than the average human about cars said that because the engine stops choking and gasping when he lets out the clutch that something is causing my clutch to slip when it heats up. I just replaced the clutch when I overhalued the engine and it has been driven 29 miles since then. He said it could be because I did not clean the flywheel friction face before I installed the clutch. Is this true? and if so what do I do about it? (The flywheel friction plate had surface rust on it.) Thanks Kevin

Reply to
StormTrooper46

It will clean itself because of the heat built up. You should not have a cranckshaft oil seal leak though. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Surface rust would come off in a short time with the friction and slipping of the clutch when starting.

I assume there were no problems observed regarding oil leaking from the engine on to the clutch. Oil and grease will cause a clutch to grab.

Since it happens after driving a bit it might be the clutch is adjusted too tightly. Check that you have some free play on the clutch petal. There might also be some problem with the mechanism between the petal and the clutch that is preventing the throwout bearing from releasing the clutch fully.

Good luck getting this sorted out.

Edd

-=-=- ... Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Reply to
Edd