Rave--95 Trooper S--Starter Troubles

For the first time since I have had my Trooper, it left me stranded!

I know most readers of this forum are men. So I will keep it short and simple:0)

Taking the kids out to eat after a parade. Come out and my trooper will not start. I called my xhusband to come and help. He felt it was the starter. So I called a tow truck. (I was 50 miles away from home) The tow guy had a roll-back, whew! Anyway, had it tow to a family members house. My current husband said not to worry he would take care of everything just come home. We would start on it first thing Sunday morning.

We got to my counsin's house at 10am sunday morning. Starter was off by 10.45 even though he had to take off a section of the exhaust pipe. We went to advance auto, were they had a rebuilt starter for 114. We bench tested the old starter and the new one. And the old starter was shot. We drove back to the trooper and with in another 45 mins. he had my trooper going again.

He was thinking it was going to be a B*tch. He got my trooper back on the road in less than 24 hours. So to all the wives/girlfriends of shade tree mechanics do' em right and they will do right by you:-)

Reply to
Cherrie Trooper

Glad you guys had good luck getting the starter replaced, I've heard it's a bear to do...not brave enough to try it myself. :-)

Do you mind if I ask how many miles on your Trooper? The starter going out seems to be a common problem with the older Troopers (those with the 3.2 v6 engine). The engine seems to always take a bit to start, so it doesn't surprise me too much. Just trying to get a feel for when it typically goes out on people. Seems to be 100-120k or so from what I've seen thus far...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

The starter we took off was not the "stock" starter. We have 175,000 miles on our trooper. And truly it is the darnest thing because I told my husband, it was draggin as if the battery was losing its charge. He heard it start one morning and thought the same thing. He said has never know a starter to go out so quickly. My husband can work on anything that has a motor, so when I called saying my truck would not start even with a jump, he was kinda baffled.

DeAnna

Reply to
Cherrie Trooper

Yep, that seems typical too - seems like it's the battery going on. I was with my parents years ago when it went out in their 93 - tried jumping it, but no go. When our 94's went out, I actually put a new battery in thinking the battery was just going bad - it didn't go out all at once like my parents one did. Have you had it long enough to have replaced the starter once before? Just wondering how long the 2nd one lasted...

We're only up to 133k on our 94, so got a ways to catch up with you. :-) My daily driver is a 92 Dodge Caravan that just rolled over 183k. I think I've gotten lucky with it, it's held up almost as well as a Trooper. ;-) Our 2002 Trooper is the baby of the family with 21k miles. Our first child is due in the middle of February; we were laughing the other day saying that when he learns to drive he'll be complaining that he has to drive that "junky old Trooper"... Hopefully it will last that long!

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Hmm.. My 99 Trooper 3.0 TDI (about 50K miles) has also been having starting problems in winter for a couple of years, first it was said to be a bad glow plug which had to be drilled out(!) last winter it was apparently the battery, but no improvement with a new one, now its winter again and guess who needs 5 min to start? Maybe its the starter too but I've had enough, I'm joining the local AA and they can start me up for the next 10 years... :-/ As a side note I see this model has two batteries in some countries, there is space for a second one in mine too, maybe they could put the old one in too?

RL

Reply to
Ray Laughton