Re: FYI RODEO PROBLEMS

Just wanted to share my rodeo info with everyone.My rodeo is a 94 4wd

>3.2l,it has 145686 miles on it.I am the orignal owner,frist issue goodyear >service centers suck,went there for inspection they always break the lug >nuts and studs,other garages also informed me this is a problem with >rodeos.

Studs are a weak point for Rodeo's.

It needed a new tranny at 117,000 miles.Went to 2 different >dealers,they blew me off saying it could be anything with that many miles >and one wanted $4k to install a tranny.

That's out of the ordinary.

Then there was the "self-adjusting >valves",they were so noisey it sounded like a diesel,well engine restore >worked great for it,only product I found that delivered on its promise.

No big deal.

Now >I figured out my fuel pump is going out,have to pump and hold gas pedal to >start.Also it now runs hot,sit in traffic temp gage sits near hot,drive off >wind hits radiator temp needle goes back down,so now it needs a new water >pump and thermostat,or I have to travel highway only.

Well, it's got 150K almost. Those parts going out is not out of the ordinary for any vehicle.

I'm not sure if you're just commenting, or venting.

If you're venting, except for the tranny, your making mountains out of molehills.

Reply to
wrestleantares

well i'll share my info: I have a 93 rodeo w/ 3.2 motor 2WD 5 speed tranny that has 250,000 miles on the orignal motor, 2nd tranny (syncro's and clutch went out of the 1st). My lugnuts never break i run a tap and die over any that feel rough and torque to spec, and have all the rings and clips installed on properly before i tighten them. the truck has been painted about 500 times because non-driving steering wheel holders keep hitting it and i need a new spare carrier cause sum idiot drove by and took it off. I put a new fuel pump in about 10,000 miles ago (2nd one). but it starts and go's every day and i would not think twice to jump in it and drive 1500 miles cross country right now. and often i do. I do have a slight tick in the engine valves, but it is not that bad and seems to get worse when it is due for a oil change (every 2500 miles) this is one of the best vehicles i have ever owned and i will buy another one if this one ever dies.

Reply to
PJ Multimedia Group

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:00:43 GMT, PJ Multimedia Group -snip-

-snip-

Sounds like your oil pump may be dying a slow death. I would recommend changing it at your earliest convenience. Doesn't sound like it's an "immediate need" fix, just something you should put a few bucks aside to do soon.

Also, I've found that if you use a slightly lighter-weight oil, this will reduce the tapping, but you still should think about changing that oil pump.

Reply to
Zex0s

Oh, and since everyone is sharing their rodeo info.. I have a 1995 1/2 Rodeo, 2WD, LS,

3.2L V6, automatic, leather, custom two-tone black-fades-to-blue paint job, slightly over-size tires, 8.5" custom alloy-wheels. It has a few 'livable' problems, two of which it's had since I bought it a year and a half ago. Did I mention I paid $7500.00 USD for it? trade-in value at the time was almost $8000 USD

One of which is a slight shudder when I hit the brakes lightly, replaced the rotors, problem went away... temporarily.. a few months later it returned, cant seem to find a permanent solution to this..

The other "inherited" problem is a slight hesitation in shifting, at-or- near redline in power mode. Had a transmission shop look at it, they can't find a problem in the tranny, and suggest it's either engine or computer related.. oh well, no biggie here either, as I rarely run 'er that hard except when pulling out into heavy traffic (read: interstate on ramps, attempting to cross four-lanes at uncontrolled intersections etc).

As far as problems that have developed after I bought it, I've had a power window motor wear out and replaced, and have another that will need to be replaced soon. It idles semi-roughly (this is an intermittant problem).

But.. It had a VERY hard life after I bought it, so these are definitely understandable. When I bought it, I was delivering newspapers every night. I would drive it 20miles to pick up the papers, then drive close to 120mi on mostly dirt and gravel roads, "stop and go" the whole way. I went through two other vehicles in 2 years. One (a 1991 Mazda MX-6 that I'd had for almost 3 years before I got the job) actually caught fire on the route, and burned nearly to the ground before the local volunteer fire department could arrive. Then I bought a 1993 Ford Taurus sedan (3.8L V6, LX model, power everything.. REALLY nice car.. pd 2500.00 USD) that after a few months started developing some serious transmission, and CV-joint problems. (front-wheel-drive + dirt roads = VERY bad idea) so started looking for a decent rear-wheel drive vehicle with a back seat (either a cheap extended- cab pickup, or SUV) saw the Rodeo, fell in love, did some research on it (thanks carpoint!) and decided to drop $7500.00 US on it, even though I planned to spend a max of $3000.00 US on the replacement vehicle.

6months after buying the Rodeo, I left the paper.. and now the Rodeo pulls double-duty as the family car, and pulls a boat (and the occassional moron who thought their automobile should wind up in a ditch, or similarly stuck somewhere.. I recall one time this guy in a Toyota 4x4 thought he could back down into the local bayou and launch his jet skis instead of paying 3.00 to the guys at the launch.. he launched em ok, but when he went to pull em back out he didnt have enough traction.. and I pulled him out.. truck, trailer, jetskis and all.)

Needless to say, I love my Rodeo, even though it's not perfect its my baby!

Chuck Burns

Reply to
Zex0s