RE.UK Trooper...no joy !!

Thanks Ploggo...thanks AG. Fitted new batteries.... 1.. start motor, no prob`s 2..batteries reading 12 v. 3...running motor 12 to1500 rpm for almost
exactly three mins bat`s still reading 12 v.. then..up she comes... needle flips over to 13 .5 volts charging fine... 4..switch off run test again...charges straight away....BUT ..wait one hour or so and...same as before...it has to run for three mins before it starts charging.. (so iv`e told the long haired one to go the long way to the shops !!!) seriously chaps..it must be some control circuit. .I`m rooting throu` me bits to see if i`ve got an old shunt so i can measure the current drawn on starting..and any further drain on the bat`s when she`s switched off.. But thats going to be mid week before i can get around to it. will inform if i get to the root of prob` Regards peter J..
First of all how long since you had the new batts fitted, have they did they receive a balancing charge ??
I believe that you will have a 2.2 kW starter motor fitted, When you turn the key you will first of all experience an" Inrush Current" which will be much greater than the cranking current if you want actual figures let me know
When you measured B/V which batt did you put the M/M across looking at the engine bay from the Rad ??
Youre first results appear low, is your MM correctly calibrated. Since fitment of the new batts how many engine starts against the time the engine has run & of course what conditions ?
What is the A/HR rating of the batts u had fitted
Ploggo

Ploggo thanks for quick repy....have drained oil...will run full test again tomorrow.. and post all details as asked cheers peter J