rear end gear ratio pt.2

also forgot to tell its a 95 honda passport w/ disc brakes/ltd. slip rear diff. 4WD,need to replace the rear diff. ring gear,that has two broken teeth on
it,but there are two rear end ratios available.is there an easier wway to find out then counting teeth?
You can compare the number of rotations of the drive shaft to the number of rotations to the rear wheel. Example....if it take 4.1 rotations of the drive shaft to get one complete rotation if the rear wheels, you have 4:10 gears.
Do you know how to pull the axle shafts? I need to pull mine but I figure out how to pull them. I don't see any retainer on the outer end nor do I see any type of C clip internal to diff.
Paul D

ok,sounds easy enough,thought maybe there was a way to check it out thru the vin #. i wont be doing the work,i may go either way w/ replacing the diff . assembly w/ a used one or having it rebuilt,ill see which is less labor intensive and less $
also the rear ratio is either 4.10 or 4.30,so it might be a little tougher to see that by that way,so what is the difference in relation to the different ratios,faster acc. higher top speed lower rpms@ highway,better fuel mpg,etc. which one does the most /best for you with a V 6 man. trans 4WD
RLGIRSCH wrote:

It is a 4WD, so you can not change it for another ratio. Or modify the front diff with it. ;-) b.t.w. a used one will be cheaper than rebuilding. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

If you disconnect the rear U joint the numbers should be stamped on the pinion gear. Divide the numbers to get the ratio. Ron
already looked it up in the owners manual,should have looked there first,its a 4:30-1,thanks anyway