Removal of Drive Shafts (trooper)

I have a 1990 import Mk1 Trooper and I need to remove the front drive shafts to change the CV boots, does anybody know the easiest way to remove them.

TIA

PJT

Reply to
Sue Wing

Try to get hold of an Haynes #1641 manual for Isuzu Pick-up and Trooper

1981 thru 1991. ISBN 1 85010 790 4 Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

You may wish to read this first...

search these forums for CV boots...
?f=240
you can go to the Autozone web site and click through "RepairInfo" to an on-line manual for your make and model that is roughlyon-par with a Chilton manual.The first link above is to a method of CV boot replacement withoutneeding to remove the axle shafts. From the article... "The standard procedure in maintenance manuals starts off by saying "Remove the drive axle". No joke. It could actually mean remove the entire axle (axle housing, differential, half shaft assemblies etc), but typically the "drive axle assembly" in IFS refers to a half shaft assembly with both CV joints, boots, etc already assembled.

Either way, removing the half shaft assembly is a lot of work. You have to drop the axle housing to remove the complete inner CV joint and you need to disassemble the hub / rotor / spindle assembly to free the outer CV joint. If all you need is new boots, then this is way too much work to do the job.

The method I describe here is a short cut to changing the boots. The idea is to separate the inner CV joint with the axle housing, spindle, hub etc. still on the vehicle. After doing so, you can pull the inner CV joint apart to clean it, then change the outer boot and clean that joint as well."

Reply to
Shank Flannigan