Seals on injector

Page 1 of 2
I have been contacted by the Isuzu dealer from whom I bought my 1997 Trooper 3.1D (UK spec) about 8 months ago.
They are advising me that "if the seals on the vehicle injector should
fail, raw fuel may bypass the injectors and enter the combustion chambers directly, which would have catastrophic consequences for your engine."
In order to save me the 4k cost of rectifying this damage they are offering to "if necessary" replace the seals at a cost of 470.
I am assuming this is a blatant attempt to drum up business but I thought I'd check here if the injector seals are a known weakness. Recorded mileage is 88k and I don't think it has been clocked. Dennis Reynolds -- If you are expectng me to reply and do not get one within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.
You are sure its a 3.1 you talking about sounds more like the problem that has been associated with the 3.0 Ploggo

I'm sure its a 3.1 but it is possible the Isuzu dealer is sending letters out to anyone he thinks will be mug enough to check a vehicle straight in to have 470 spent on it.
I understand an early symptom is difficult starting. I'll wait until I have that problem, if ever.

Dennis Reynolds -- If you are expectng me to reply and do not get one within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.
hello. i am highly intrested in your Seals on injector
kindly tell me the last price and send me the pixs,my mode of payment will be a cashier check drawn from a uk bank cos i have an associate in the uk who sold some dameged cars on my behalf and has not paid all the money involved but i can instruct him to issue a cashier check so as to pay you.note i will only conclude this transaction when i conclude negotiation with my shipper on the price which he is going to ship the Seals on injector from your location to where the customer that want the car to be shipped to.     if you are okay with my mode of payment and trancastion do get back to me with the following info............................ full name home address phone number zip code all this will be forward to my associate for payment. hope to hear from you soon. spencer snipped-for-privacy@graffiti.net
This issue is definatley only for 3.0 Diesel Trooper model fitted with the 4JX1 common rail diesel engine.
The dealer is quite right, it is possible for diesel fuel to enter the sump, through the injectors and dilute the oil. This not only compromises the lubrication sysyetm, if it is not noticed, the oil level will increase until it reaches a point where the engine will run on its own oi - then BANG.

and better performance than Common rail, but pretty unknown yet.
rhys
FYI, 4JX1 is considered to be common rail. you are correct that it is not the same as modern systems, however it is a common rail system. "Newer and better performance" not sure where you read that, it is older and suffers with more than its fair share of problems.
The worst diesel engine Isuzu has ever brought out by far...

No troubles going on for 5 years this summer... The '99 Trooper is the best damn car I ever bought!
--
madiba

I think this is the exception to the rule !!
snipped-for-privacy@thekraal.com (madiba) wrote in message

The 4JX1's from 2000 onward in NZ have all been very good as far as I've heard, the earlier engines had injector troubles, but the later engines have them fixed here.

the exception because they don't?

--
madiba

There was an earlier thread about this problem. It was claimed that the 4JX1 engine was susceptible to some problem with the injectors which could result in catastrophic engine failure. I also heard that there was a recall to apply a fix, so I guess it must only have applied to engines prior to some date - though I don't know what that date was (others may) or how many engines were affected.
Whilst I don't doubt for a moment the sincerity of those who posted in that earlier thread, I was unable to find anything on the web confirming the existence of the problem. Given the claimed catastrophic effect, I would have expected to do so if a substantial number of engines had been involved.
Several people, including myself, posted to the thread their own experiences of the total reliability of their 4JX1 engines. Mine 2000 Trooper has done nearly 70K miles without any engine problem at all.
If there are others reading this who know more about this problem with the 4JX1 engine (as distinct from having heard rumours - or hearsay), perhaps they would care to shed some light on the issue.
Cheers Andrew Kay
I`m the person who had the injector problem...some months ago who posted to this site.. it`s 1998 3ltr DOHC direct injection ...now got 27K on the clock it was getting progressivly more difficult to start..and i had to continually use the palm pump to get fuel up to the rail. the fuel had diluted the engine oil level by approx 2pints before i noticed it... PS..it did`nt explode !!!
I purchased the vehicle from a dealer and never heard from him again. so had no confidence in him.. I `phoned another dealer who asked for the vin no checked it on his comp` and imformed me although it was out of the standing warrantee isuzu would cover the costs of the work on the injectors...
He supplied me with a courtesy car whilst he did the work.. i understand he also put a non-return valve in riseing fuel line it cost me nowt! so i guess he claimed the costs back..
One final point definately worth a mention ..the first thing i checked when i had the starting problem was the HEATER plugs two were compleatly duff and one was on its was out....and they were very badly corroded and quite difficult to remove.. the job it`s self is quite easy if their not corroded...
Many thanks again to the guys who were very helpful with advise etc at the time ...Dave..Ploggo...Andrew...and anyone i`ve left out.. regards peter j.

Mine was reg 1 Jan 2000 so, hopefully, it will be one of the Troopers manufactured after the fault was corrrected in production. I think I'll check at the next service, just to be sure.

Mine has 68K miles on the clock, starts first time every morning (after the usual 3 or 4 secs of cranking), sounds & performs just like (or better than) new and uses no oil between services, so I guess its probably OK anyway.
Cheers Andrew Kay

checking the recall data but its all based in the US so no diesels.

synthetic oils that Isuzu recommends) I would take that as a warning sign.. My battery seems to be getting old, in winter it starts on the second try, if I'm careful. The battery was always a bit weak, opening the sun roof was a problem even in the showroom when the car was new.. Some Trooper models have two batteries I hear.
--
madiba

Trooper *petrol* engines seem to be noted for using oil, at least to judge by posts on this NG.
My diesel Trooper has used fully synthetic oil from new & has been serviced strictly according to the book. In the last 50,000 miles, I've very rarely had to top up the engine oil - only a couple of litres (or less) in grand total. I shall take it as a warning if it starts to use a significant amount of engine oil or if the oil level rises - but I'm perfectly happy for it to continue not to need top-ups for the next few hundred thousand miles. :-)

Yes, mine is a LWB Citation and has two batteries, which are both still OK. Don't all 3.0 litre UK diesels have two?
Cheers Andrew
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:45:10 -0000, "Andrew Kay"

A dealer recently told me that it was a quick way to know an import from a UK Trooper as non-UK models don't have two.
I asked what the second battery was for and was told it is solely to provide power for the ceramic heater which gives cabin heat very quickly after a cold start. Dennis Reynolds -- If you are expectng me to reply and do not get one within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.

why it only has one. Must be because our alpine winters are so much milder than in the UK.. :-/ I wonder if that means my heater button (with the solenoid thingy as symbol) is disconnected? Where is the second battery located, if I may ask? Mine is on the right in the front, right behind the windshield washer tank.
--
madiba

Does the heater button have an outline pic of an engine on it and a helix twining inside the engine? if it has that it'd be connected to a restriction valve on the exhaust, this will be connected on all models, (that I know of) but isn't a ceramic heater... it just holds the hot gasses back and forces the engine to work harder and therefore heat up faster. I'm not sure what the cabin heat button looks like... probably built into the air con controls.. :)
Japanese cars imported from Japan can also be fitted with two batteries... they were fitted to all "Cold Area" models as an option... and there are some cold areas in Japan... Mt Fuji comes to mind :), A friend of mine has a '98 Wizard ex-Japan with 2 batteries.
rhys

There isn't a cabin heat button.
The ceramic heater is energised if the temperature slider is moved to all the way to maximum, buit only when the engine is cold. The effect of the ceramic heater is hardly noticeable - but you can verfiy that it is working by sliding the probe of a meat thermometer down the screen vent & playing with the control.
Cheers Andrew Kay