Shift into 4x4

Greetings, I have a 99 trooper, automatic, what is the proper way to transfer to 4x4, also do I leave the automatic shifter in neutral while it's in 4x4 mode? I'm a newbie to 4x4, any help will be appreciated.
Thanks George

There should be instructions on your visor. But:
1. The transmission is the transmission whether in 4X4 or not. Menaing if you want your vehicle to move you need to have it in gear, as well as in 4X4 mode.
2. If you have push button 4X4 then your vehicle 4WD lever Should always be in 4 Hi, and to switch to using 4wd you merely keep your speed constant and under 60 and push the button. Once the switch is made drive normally.
3. To switch to 4 low, put your transmission in neutral, push the 4wd button, and put your 4WD lever in 4low. This is for extreme 4WD drving only. You will probably rarely (if ever need this mode) - I used it to pull another car out of a ditch in a bad traction area, and to pull some stumps. Normally 4 Hi is suitable for my off-road driving as I'm not an extreme 4X4 er.
4. If you do not have push putton 4WD, then your 4WD lever will have another setting 2WD, to get to 4 Hi, you still can switch on the fly (while you are driving) by keeping the vehicle at a constant speed below 60 and shifting the 4WD lever to 4 Hi. To switch to 4 low, stop vehicle and put in neutral like with the push button format.
Hope that helps.
snipped-for-privacy@spamacidebellsouth.net (wrestleantares) jotted down a note in

appreciated.
<snip>
If you attempt 4x4-LOW make sure that the vehicle is STOPPED always. <snip>

--
( ,&&&.
) .,.&&