So I'm getting a new transmission...

My 2001 Trooper has 160K miles on it. It burns oil about a quart a week too. The trans finally bit it yesterday. I considered trading it in but I have a note on it and the $2000 new trans is actually the better option. The EGR valve needs to be replaced and I plan on doing that, I've ordered the part online. I'm hoping that after these major overhauls I can get a few more years out of it. Does all this sound like the best course to take? ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

What are the symptoms of your transmissions problems? Been acting up a while? Have you done regular maintenance on it? Just curious as I have a

2002 (with a whopping 31k miles) that I'd like to keep on the road as long as possible.

What's the going rate for a new/rebuilt transmission? Perhaps it could be something simpler & cheaper than a complete overhaul too. With the reputation the Troopers have, I would certainly think you could get some more life out of it. Heck, I've got a 92 Caravan in the driveway that I drive every day that is at 190k. If a Dodge can make it to 190k, an Isuzu sure as heck ought to be able to! And beyond... But, I've also not heard much on how the late-model Troopers are holding up now that they are aging...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

It felt like it was slipping a lot lately. Using the power-button will help for a while, but only for a while. It's probably had issues since I bought it. Keeping it in overdrive all the time probably didn't help either. I've only had the thing for slightly over a year. I had the trans flushed when I first felt the slipping and it helped a lot but the damage had been done I guess. If I had known about all the issues with troopers (especially the oil issues) I would have passed on it and gotten another jeep. But it rides good and with the new tranny I have high hopes.

~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Change the fluid/oil frequently rather than the more common 50-60,000 miles that most do. Cheap insurance against future repairs. I change the transmission fluid on my vehicles every 15K-20K and change the tranny filter every 40K.

Reply to
miles