SOLUTION OIL BURING

The Solution to oil burring in ISUZU V6 is a clogged EGR tube. Tube is located inside of intake manifold.
1, Take out, I think it is call mass air flow! it is in front of
intake manifold. Four bolts and few vacuum lines. Not that bad.
2, Take out EGR Valve.
3, Take a new can of carburetor cleaner. Clean the tube that goes to EGR valve from the front side not EGR side. Tube will be inside intake manifold. If you have Shop Vac you can use it to suck from EGR side.
4 Last take a long brush, which is use for cleaning oil passages, and clean the tube thoroughly. (Auto parts store, I got 5 brushes for $10) you need only one.
5 Assemble everything and you are good for another 40000 miles.
KALIM KHAN
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. However, most people have reported excessive oil consumption with their Isuzu's from the day they bought it new. Mine has used about 1/2qt per 2,000 miles since day 1.
I believe the high consumption is because of Isuzu's use of short skirt pistons. The short skirt produces less friction and thus higher performance but causes higher oil consumption.
Chino Khan wrote:

Agreed.....we purchased our Trooper new in 1998 and it burned oil from day one up until the day I totaled it.

I agree my trooper use to burn 1/2qt between oil changes from day one too. But at 40000 miles it was burning like 1qt every 500 miles. I saw this Isuzu company bulletin in some car magazine and taught worth trying. After cleaning the tube my oil consumption went back to 1/2qt between changes, which is acceptable.
PS: EGR tube was solid shut though before I cleaned it up.

Anyone experienced the above oil burning problem accompanied by Cylinder misfire (not assoc. W/fouled plug) Any comments......Thanks PB
theroadisalover wrote:

No problem with misfire but Isuzu's are known for high oil consumption. However, if oil level is checked often and regular oil changes made it does not seem to cause any problems even on high mileage engines.
What have you done so far? Wires, plugs, cap, rotor etc?
I agree my trooper use to burn 1/2qt between oil changes from day one too. But at 40000 miles it was burning like 1qt every 500 miles. I saw this Isuzu company bulletin in some car magazine and taught worth trying. After cleaning the tube my oil consumption went back to 1/2qt between changes, which is acceptable.
PS: EGR tube was solid shut though before I cleaned it up.

How can clogged EGR tube affect oil consumption? It's not that I doubt your word, just would like to understand.
Peter
Tube is about 8 to 12 inches long and goes all the way back to EGR. I use long brush, which was about 3 feet long including handle part (brush part was 6 inches). I used cab cleaner from the front side and had a shop vac on EGR side to suck all the gunk. I found the brushes at my local NAPA Store.
Chino, did you simply remove the EGR valve and then stick the brush down into the hole? Where does the hole lead to? Could one push carbon contaminates down into the engine and cause more trouble?

Kalim, how long is this tube? Did you say your tube was completely closed?
We got a Check Engine light on our 1998 Trooper and got the code read at an auto store which showed an EGR valve problem. All we did was squirt carborator cleaner down into the tube. Did not have a brush. Tell us more about the type of brush you used, how long, etc.
Carl www.Isuzu.8k.com

Tube is going from EGR housing into the intake manifold. It is just a straight tube. My tube was solid shut, I soften the gunk with carb cleaner then I used the brush from the front side and had the Shop vac on the EGR side. There is nothing to it, it is just a tube one end connected to EGR valve and other open end just sitting there sucking vapors I think. Once you are done cleaning, you can use shop vac to suck any debris fallen because of the cleaning process.
WOW!!!, Thanks for the info. I just finished cleaning the EGR system this weekend on my 99 Trooper with 96K miles on it that has been burning oil at a rate of a quart every 500 miles and had check engine light coming on and off regularly. The valve on the EGR was completely stuck. I cleaned it with carb cleaner (along with the EGR tube) and now it moves freely. I put everything back together and the engine runs better, idles smoother, and no longer shows any tailpipe smoke under hard acceleration. Still to early tell for sure about the oil consumption rate If you have an Isuzu with this engine, I highly recommend you perform this procedure or at least pull off the EGR valve (two bolts and 1 electrical connector, very easy to do) and clean the valve to make sure it moves freely. Thanks again,
--
Brett W. Rohlfing
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net
Brett W. Rohlfing wrote:

would you have any links that describe it step-by-step (perhaps even picture) ?
http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/rodeo/egr.htm
http://kpaske.shacknet.nu/public/EGR.htm
Try these links. I pretty much followed the second one. Also while I was cleaning the EGR tube, I set the EGR valve upside down on the ground (propped it up so it wouldn't tip over) and filled the thing with carb cleaner and let it soak. By the time I was done cleaning the EGR tube, the valve on the EGR was unstuck and moving freely.