Spark plug torque for '96 Rodeo, 3.2?

Here at work, getting ready to change plugs(um, first time too... 165K*g* oops) and the manual's at home. Being that it's an aluminum head, don't want to over torque. What should it be?

Also, any recommendation on plugs to use? I bought some Bosch platinum, but was just reading on a site that, at least with the '98 Rodeo, that's not a recommended plug, that it can cause the CEL(?) to come on?

Thanks! Shawn

Reply to
43fan

"43fan" wrote in news:5oCdnVvelr snipped-for-privacy@hereintown.net:

aluminum

the book calls for 14 ft lbs on the spark plugs. if you dont have a torque wrench that is accurate at that low of a setting, then run the plugs in hand tight, then tighten another 1/2 to 3/4 turn, that should be pretty close. the factory plugs were probably ac delco, but i switched mine over to ngk, because i just dont like gm, one thing that i might caution you about, the plugs seen to try to sieze into the cylinder head on these engines, especially the rear one on the drivers side, so i coat the threads with an anti sieze lubricant before i install them. if you try to pull the plug wires by just grabbing them and pulling them off, you likely will damage one or more of them, be sure and twist them clockwise and counterclockwise 2 or 3 times before you pull them off...hope this helps

Reply to
electro punk

Just wanted to add... I tighten just until the compression gasket collapses. You'll feel it in the wrench as you run it down... it will tighten a little as the gasket makes contact, then loosen quickly as it collapses, then suddenly take up a lot. Then you know you have it tight. Never checked it but that's probably 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the plug is in hand-tight.

I also second the anti-seize. Very important on any plug put into aluminum engine heads, unless you don't plan on being the one to take them out in 40-50K miles. Which is why many... if not most... shops don't bother with it.

I like NGK (platinum especially) too... don't know about the AC plugs but I absolutely wouldn't use Bosch platinums that all the stores seem to carry. A worse plug I've never used. Never tried them, but I would suspect Nippon-Denso platinums are also pretty good.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh