Speakers not working on 93 Trooper

Anyone out there have problems with the speakers in your trooper? I've lost all but one over the years. The problem is with the wiring someplace because I've tested the speakers and they work fine. Every so often one or two of them will work, mostly on hot days.

Any clues before I start tearing apart the wiring?

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Pull the radio out. Open it up and resolder the points where the speaker terminals connect to the circuit board. I've had this same problem twice on my 93 and this has fixed it both times. The connections may look ok, but they seem to weaken over time.

Reply to
Dave Seng

You are referring to in the radio itself I assume. When you say resoder are you simply heading up the existing solder and then letting it solidify again or are you actual adding solder to the connection?

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Am having the same problem on my '93.....when I pound the dash near the radio, the speakers come back on for a brief while which is consistent with bad solder joints.

162000 and going strong, though getting a little worried about frame rust.....body is perfect.

Reply to
Dan Martin

I had the exact same problem with my 94 Trooper, and it was the contacts inside the radio as well. Personally, I would add a little solder to each of the contacts as you reheat them. It will help strengthen them a little.

Chris