Spinning Rear Wheels

I have a 2001 Rodeo. A few days ago the service engine light came on for a few hours, then off. When starting up from a stopped position the rear wheels skip and spin like the car is trying to peel out. After it shifts into second it stops. Also after the first one or two stops the spininng stops altogether. Let it sit for a few hours then the problem starts again. The mechanic didn't get a clear indication from the computer trouble code. The spinning seems more frequent but there is still no check engine light again. The mechanic is thinking it may be an idle sensor but that is just his guess.

Reply to
OClem

add half quart transmission fluid if it does not stop, add a little more until it stops

check rear differential, open the drain plug on the back side and ensure oil is at top level, add some if needed (note: this is heavy grade, if I recall (check manual) it's

90w-140 or similar)
Reply to
Tom

Find a different shop. Without getting us at least a code number, any guess is likely to be wrong. The point of the check engine light is to give at least a hint to what is wrong. A code may still be stored even when the light is off. Seeing that your mechanic couldn't figure out the code, he might not know how to erase one either.

I see no direct correlation between what is a likely tranny fault and a "idle sensor"...whatever that is. That stumps me and I know my fuel injection!

OClem wrote:

Reply to
alfredB18

Here is the result. I went to the dealership...they found the transmission cover was leaking and was low on fluid (undetected by the oil change shop or myself), and was still covered under the warranty. There was a bad fuel sensor, not sure exactly which one or where, that was replaced (not under the warrenty). All seems to be running well.

Reply to
OClem