Starter failure?

I did some work on the ole 89 Trooper today. Disconnected the battery, did what I needed to do, and reconnected the battery.
Went to start the Trooper. Idiot lights light up, there is a faint
'click' and then an even fainter 'hmmmm' or 'bzzzz'.
Checked the battery connections, everything is fine. Checked the fusible links, all OK.
Put a meter on the battery, 12.5 +/- volts. Turned the key to start, voltage drops maybe 0.1 volts.
So.... I'm guessing the starter solenoid puked. It's not pulling in and making contact for the starter.
Before I spend an hour on my back under the Trooper pulling said starter, is this a reasonable prognosis?
Any way to test the starter solenoid in place?
I figure I'll put a meter on it to make sure it's getting power, but the click and hummm seem to indicate it's getting juice, just not clicking in.
And, is there anything I could have done in disconnecting the battery to cause this failure to start? Everything checks out OK; I have power to everything, and putting battery cables on ain't rocket science.....
--Kamus
--
o__ | May your trails be dim, lonesome, stony, narrow, winding and
,>/'_ | only slightly uphill. May the wind bring rain for the slickrock
On Mon, 24 May 2004 02:21:16 +0000, Tim Sickles wrote:

How the h*ll do you get the starter out? I can't find any bolts that seem to hold it on.... The only bolts that I can find look like they through-bolt and hold the started together....
--Kamus

Kamus, I concur with Tim - I had the same exact problem with my '86. To test the solenoid contacts, simply have someone hold the key in the start position (truck OUT OF GEAR, EMERGENCY BRAKE ON) when you're under the truck with a hammer in your hand, and tap the starter gently - that often is enough to cause the contacts to make, and let you know for sure you either have worn out brushes or a set of worn out contacts. I made contacts for mine out of a piece of copper water pipe - as far as I know, its still running around Oahu somewhere.
If I remember correctly, there are 2 bolts in the starter that screw into the bellhousing - one at the top (a real bear to get to) and one at the bottom, both that screw in from the front. Bring a bright light down there and feel all around the starter flange - you'll find them. Good luck. Steve