streering freeplay on trooper

hello all, hope someone can guide me.
inherited from older brother a 13 year old trooper and it's got a lot of loose play on the wheel. apparently he's adjusted once or twice the steering box but that only
gets so far and he cautioned me not to try that again.
is there something else I can do without taking it in to a shop?
yes, I'm handy with tools and not afraid to learn new things :)
To find out were the freeplay is in the system you might try the following... 1) Lift both front wheels off the ground 2) Secure the steering wheel (I used two pieces of rope, one on either side of the steering wheel and tied to the role cage I have in this vehicle). Don't rely on the steering lock as it isn't very strong and there is some freeplay in it. 3) Push and pull the front wheels to the left and right while watching the various parts of the steering system (shaft, drag link, tie rod, etc.) and see which components have freeplay.
Note: I had to do this several times until I found all the parts that needed to be replaced.

I'm assuming you're talking about a 93? I've driven a 93 and 2 94's, and they all seem to have a bit of play...I just figured it's par for the course. Unless yours is very very bad...?
Wesley