tip: use speedy boots

ended up going with "Speedy Boot" to repair cracked cv-joint boots on trooper

here are a couple old messages explaining them (they work great and were a snap to install)

**

"...if it is just that your boots are split they sell something in the auto-part stores called a "Speedy Boot" which you can put around the joint with a good load of grease..."

"...I too did the split boots. I used the Speedy boot (one with the little bolts). It took three attempts to get it installed such that it didn't leak grease. It's holding up fine now (approx 5K miles). The secret to the Speedy boot is #1 don't follow the directions #2 use Goop brand glue to seal the seam along with using the supplied miniature bolts.

The directions say to apply CV joint grease to the seam before sealing with the bolts. This does not keep the grease in the boot. At highway speeds and with the boot flexing, the seams open up and allow centrifugal force to throw grease everywhere. Save yourselve the trouble, don't get any grease on the seam, rough it up with a file (like when you apply a bike tube patch to an innertube), apply Goop (don't use silicone RTV as a replacement, it doesn't hold either). Be careful not to get Goop on the axle or joint as you put the boot on and don't get grease on the seam. Use the Goop in a well ventilated area or wear a gas mask ($30 buys a good one, like used for spraying high VOC liquids such as paint). You will have your face right up against the boot as you try to get it in position and sealed. The fumes from the Goop can quickly overtake you. Make sure both sides of the seam are contacting each other. Push the bolts thru and tighten (don't over tighten). Don't use the car for 24 hours and try to keep the boot in an "unflexed" position. This is to allow the Goop to fully cure. Follow these steps and I believe you will succeed...."

Reply to
Joe Isuzu

I wonder if the poster below that used "Goop" meant "SHOE GOO".... I haven't ever heard of GOOP glue, just hand cleaner. If someone knows of a GOOP brand glue, pls tell me where it can found... r/ Steve

Reply to
SPR
Reply to
Joe D