Transmission acting odd

It does this little stuttering thing like it's trying to grab the gears when it's time to change gears sometimes. I've checked the fluid (actually a shop did) and it's full. I had the problem 6 months ago and the Isuzu place did a flush, but didn't change the filter, as they said they shouldn't because it may start a leak then. Sounds odd to me but it did fix the problem until now. Any input would be greatly appreciated. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

I forgot to mention, it's the 3.5 gas engine w/automatic trans. 2001 Trooper. Green. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Did you buy it new? Pretty sure it should have the 10yr/120k mile drivetrain warranty. Our 2002 definitely does. But...I'm thinking that may not transfer if it is sold to someone else.

How many miles on it? Done any towing? Kept the fluid changed regularly as noted in the manual? Just curious as I've heard of some problems with late-model Trooper transmissions. I've got a 2002 we bought new in April of

2003. 29k on the clock now, it doesn't get driven a lot. However, 5-10% or so of those miles are from towing our 18' travel trailer. I've also put a transmission cooler on it hopefully help prevent any potential problems.

I've also noticed that the 02 tranny doesn't seem to shift as fast and hard as our 94 Trooper's does. Anybody know if there's a difference between the tranny in those model years? I'm thinking I read somewhere it was basically the same, but who knows.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping ours lasts a long, long time!

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

would suggest you change all the fluid and the transmission filter. it's not a hard job, you just need a couple jacks to support the center of the transmission and remove all of the metal plates around and in front of the pan

there will be about 4 liters of fluid inside the pan and once you drop it, keep a large plastic bucket underneath to catch the drips and the fluid. a filter replacement kit costs about $29 at any napa or advanced auto store.

another thing to control the stuttering is to put a small bottle of GM gear additive into the rear differential. any isuzu parts shop will know the stuff.

Reply to
Joe Isuzu