Transmission: replace or rebuild

Our 98 Trooper has blown its tranny. We are being quoted $2100 to rebuild it by a reputable local independent shop, or $4000 to replace it by the dealer (the dealer does not do rebuilds). ANy reason to choose one over the other? Any alternatives?

Thanks,

Reply to
Peter Aitken

The rebuilt will generally only have the faulty parts replaced, often with used parts. Other parts that are worn but still in spec will usually not be replaced. It comes down to how reputable the rebuilder is and how well they stand behind their work. The right shop doing the work will be the better deal. If the dealer does it make sure it really is a new tranny and not a remanufactured one. What kind of warranty does Isuzu give (not just a dealer warranty)?

Reply to
miles

Neither. Get a used one. Second hand. It will last as long as a new or rebuilt one. Put it in and you are done for maybe 500 USD. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Sounds great but the best price for a used one I have found is $1500. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Peter Aitken

Ai, sounds expensive. So you have to find a wrecked car before it goes to the scrapyard. This won't be easy then. Did you try Ebay ?

Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets