trooper

I need a little advise I am looking at a late 80's early 90's trooper I know nothing about them and being this board is a bunch of people that know their isuzus I just need a little info just are they reliable? do
they reak down easy? and the big one are the a roll over risk any info I can get would be great thanks in advanse eclipse

Get a Trooper with the anti slip mclutch installed, my 92 has it & it levels out the rear axle under silly cornering etc & it does work.
I love mine, bit slow but built like a tank!
Nige
Eclipse snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Noah Gilbert) wrote:

I have a 89 with auto transmission. Having a auto transmission you get manual locking hubs which I like better.
So far I've had to replace the disc brakes all four wheels, starter, thermostat, fuel pump bracket, shocks, muffler a couple of times and that's about it in 14 years.
If you are looking at a 89 be sure to check and see if the fuel pump bracket is ok or if it's been changed. They rust out on top of the fuel tank and then the wires going to the fuel pump short out and blow fuses and strand you somewhere. The replacement bracket is about $200 plus dollars. If you have a dealer install it, it will cost you around $800 plus/minus a few. You can do it yourself as I did. It requires draining the fuel tank and dropping it, after that it's a easy job to change it. The tank even has a plug on the bottom for draining. 4 bolts hold the tank.
The starter is a bit tough to get at, but not as bad as I had thought. Took about 30 minutes to change.
I'm not thinking of changing the cam belt.
Those are the only things I have to comment on as far as my 89 Trooper II.
Dale

Goofy me........I AM thinking of changing the cam belt.
If anyone had done this on a 89 Trooper II I'd like to hear your work or it. Any problems or things to watch for.
Dale

We had an 88 Trooper. Very dependable. The autolocking hubs were the only item to fail and were replaced. I think the roll over stories are way over blown. Note that both Suzuki and Isuzu have been in lawsuits against consumer reports. My understanding is that they are accusing CU of taking money from trial lawyers to conduct the tests in their favor. I do not know the outcome if it was ever settled. I owned both a Suzuki and an Isuzu and both were great vehicles. I now own a 99 Amigo and have had no problems with it.
Noah Gilbert wrote:

Agreed, I've never had a "close one" with my Trooper II and it feels very stable under normal cornering. It has stabilizer bars on both the front and rear so it keeps the cornering very flat. I will say though that on icy roads it does spin quite easy while in 2WD, and I think that's because of the shorter wheelbase, I've spun out once, but I was playing around a bit on a icy corner and it caught me off guard. No harm done except for my ego. On slippery roads keep it in 4WD.
Dale

My '87 (2.3L gas, 5sp man) is one tough old bird. I bought her with 100k+on her and now have about 170k on her. She gets abused regularly on Alaskan construction sites and comes back for more. Cons include an idling problem in very wet weather, lack of a rear locking diff, and needs heat to start if left for more than three days in sub zero. I am well satisfied, if it had more than the dinky 2000# towing capacity i would be in love.