Trooper 3.1TD Engine Heater

We own a 1996 3.1TD Trooper. It has had a variety of electrical faults which I have slowly been fixing. I can not however confirm the Engine heater works. When cold you can switch the engine heater on and the switch lights up, this however seems to make no difference. The big question is, where is the heater? I am unable to get a decent workshop manual for the diesel trooper anywhere other than a genuine for around £100 (GBP) Anyone got any ideas

Reply to
Dave Wood

"Dave Wood" wrote

The engine heater you mention is probably the exhaust restriction device, when cold it partially closes the exhaust pipe so the hot gasses stay around to heat the engine and the engine works a bt harder to overcome the restriction. look along the mainfold/tailpipe for a gadget.

rhys

'88 2.8TD Bighorn LWB

Reply to
rnf2

I thought it was a ceramic heater in the sump ..............

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kay

"Andrew Kay" wrote

That could be a newer method than the restrictor, 96 is newer than 88. I know that theres some confusion about the gadget on the tailpipe tho, some think it's supposed to be an engine brake, it's actually a heater, you're not supposed to rev hard or go full bore until the engines warm and the thermostat releases the restriction with that method. I suppose all the gasses at full revs could bend or damage the check valve/restrictor.

So you could Either pull the sump (fun, and messy) and look for a ceramic heater, or look along the exhaust. It'll likely be one or the other.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

Yes - could be - mine's a 2000 3.0D Trooper.

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kay

Reply to
Ploggo

Reply to
Ploggo

OK - I must have misunderstood what the ceramic heater is that is referred to in the brochure and owners manual for the 3.0D?? Any ideas?

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kay

"Andrew Kay" wrote

Ceramic heaters are common for the AC heaters, especially for rear seats, IIRC mostly they run straight off the alternator. I don't know anything about the 3.0 however, the 3.1 is merely the 2.8 block with a larger piston size and different head. but the 3.0 is a new design entirely.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

Reply to
Ploggo

Be nice on cold winters. But as for imports I suppose you mean used Jap cars? I thought they came with remote starting in the cold parts of japan, start the car while enjoying your Sushi breakfast and duck out to the cosy warm car once it's reached a civilised heat.... A number of Used Jap imports to NZ came with dual batteries to provide extra power to crank with on cold days. Apparently needed when parking on Mt Fuji...

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

Thankx.

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kay

My 3.0 Trooper is an original UK model and has two batteries. I do not normally park near Mt Fuji. :-)

The engine heater switch in my car has a picture of an engine with a heater coil in the middle of it. The handbook describes it as an "engine warming-up system" which operates when ambient temperature is below 15C and engine cooling temperature is below 80C. This does not make it sound as if it is a supplement to the car heater. The connection with coolant temperature makes me suspect that the heater is somewhere inside the coolant system. Of course, this would have the added benefit of speeding up the heating of the car heater system.

Reply to
Howard Neil

"Howard Neil" wrote

Thats the same as on mine, it operates the restriction heating system. the connection with cooltant temp is via a thermostat operating the solenoid. If your car is worm enough, engaging that switch does nothing, since the thermostat tells the heating system not to engage.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

Exactly dual batts mainly to power ceramic heater certainly here in uk according to Isuzu GB Remote starting that sounds difficult would need a fair amount of control eg timed sol for pre heat additional circuitry to disconnect starter when engine reached certain speed sounds more akin to auto start standby generators Ploggo

Reply to
Ploggo

So is mine.

Ditto

I had believed that the switch controlled a ceramic heater in the sump to speed the warming of engine oil after starting in cold weather. It seems that I'm mistaken.

Cheers Andrew Kay

Reply to
Andrew Kay

Some interesting info from you guys. Our Trooper the 3.1TD has a funny solenoid thing on the exhaust system. But the owners manual claims the switch on top of the transmission tunnel is for a Ceramic Engine heater. How do I check the operation of the bizare exhaust thingy. Our trooper has always seemed a little slow, it pulls like a train but slowly. We managed to pull a caravan with flat tyres for about 5 miles. I still want to find the ceramic heater, from what some of you are saying it is in the sump. If this the case then do you know where the wiring is for it? This car also has two huge 12V batteries.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wood

Reply to
Ploggo

Screw the reports, mine has been fantastic with no problems in 3 years. Could use a second battery though..

Reply to
madiba

Reply to
Ploggo