Trooper 3.1TD Engine Heater

Page 1 of 6
We own a 1996 3.1TD Trooper. It has had a variety of electrical faults which I have slowly been fixing. I can not however confirm the Engine heater works. When cold you can switch the engine heater on and the switch lights
up, this however seems to make no difference. The big question is, where is the heater? I am unable to get a decent workshop manual for the diesel trooper anywhere other than a genuine for around 100 (GBP) Anyone got any ideas

The engine heater you mention is probably the exhaust restriction device, when cold it partially closes the exhaust pipe so the hot gasses stay around to heat the engine and the engine works a bt harder to overcome the restriction. look along the mainfold/tailpipe for a gadget.
rhys
'88 2.8TD Bighorn LWB
wrote

I thought it was a ceramic heater in the sump ..............
Cheers Andrew

know that theres some confusion about the gadget on the tailpipe tho, some think it's supposed to be an engine brake, it's actually a heater, you're not supposed to rev hard or go full bore until the engines warm and the thermostat releases the restriction with that method. I suppose all the gasses at full revs could bend or damage the check valve/restrictor.
So you could Either pull the sump (fun, and messy) and look for a ceramic heater, or look along the exhaust. It'll likely be one or the other.
rhys
wrote

Yes - could be - mine's a 2000 3.0D Trooper.
Cheers Andrew
It is not a heater but a solenoid operated retricor you will find it in the exhaust more or less unerneath the drivers seat My advice is Dont Use it for one thing only necessary at temps cold enough to freeze penguins But the main reson is that they are Prone to Sticking Shut once that happens you will have aa real problem been there As for sump heaters quite intriguing how long does that have to operate in order to aid cold staring & would that then leave any power in the Battery ?? I do know that most sumps have a Dipstick Ploggo
wrote

APOLOGIES should read restrictor Ploggo
wrote

OK - I must have misunderstood what the ceramic heater is that is referred to in the brochure and owners manual for the 3.0D?? Any ideas?
Cheers Andrew

IIRC mostly they run straight off the alternator. I don't know anything about the 3.0 however, the 3.1 is merely the 2.8 block with a larger piston size and different head. but the 3.0 is a new design entirely.
rhys
First of all apologies for typing errors must junk this keyboard there is a ceramic heater in uk spec & some imports this is housed in the heater box above transmission tunnel when heater is switched to full heat it is switched on handy on cold mornings as it provides instant heat Ploggo
wrote

Be nice on cold winters. But as for imports I suppose you mean used Jap cars? I thought they came with remote starting in the cold parts of japan, start the car while enjoying your Sushi breakfast and duck out to the cosy warm car once it's reached a civilised heat.... A number of Used Jap imports to NZ came with dual batteries to provide extra power to crank with on cold days. Apparently needed when parking on Mt Fuji...
rhys
wrote

My 3.0 Trooper is an original UK model and has two batteries. I do not normally park near Mt Fuji. :-)
The engine heater switch in my car has a picture of an engine with a heater coil in the middle of it. The handbook describes it as an "engine warming-up system" which operates when ambient temperature is below 15C and engine cooling temperature is below 80C. This does not make it sound as if it is a supplement to the car heater. The connection with coolant temperature makes me suspect that the heater is somewhere inside the coolant system. Of course, this would have the added benefit of speeding up the heating of the car heater system.
--
Howard Neil

connection with cooltant temp is via a thermostat operating the solenoid. If your car is worm enough, engaging that switch does nothing, since the thermostat tells the heating system not to engage.
rhys

Yes, and in addition I believe it only works below certain throttle/rpm limits - e.g. if you floor it the solenoids are released. I also believe the intake is choked (and/or receives additional fuel) as well as the exhaust. How the hell this warms the engine up faster I do not know! But experimentation in our relatively mild south UK climate indicates that it makes ****-all difference whether you put it on or off.
Paul C.
(rnf2)

That is also my experience. On top of doing flip-all, it is prone to failure. Best disabled or not experimented with IMHO.
Huw

So is mine.

Ditto
I had believed that the switch controlled a ceramic heater in the sump to speed the warming of engine oil after starting in cold weather. It seems that I'm mistaken.
Cheers Andrew Kay
I know little about the 3Ltr other than to avoid them according to the reports the engine is a lemon and almost solely responsible for Isuzus / Troopers demise but from your description your 3.0 seems to have similar arrangement to the 3.1 will check on Mon with a man who will definitely knowand revert. Sadly the reports about the 3.0 have been so bad that they have convinced me not to buy & my next purchase due about now will almost certainly be a Colorado which saddens me having had 3 fine Troopers which have served me well over the years I plan to retain my current troop for old times sake & make sure she ages gracefully :-( I know its sad !!! but what the hell Ploggo

Could use a second battery though..
--
madiba

Agreed. I have only had mine for 18 months but it has performed faultlessly. It does need both batteries, though, as I found out recently when one died. Even then it did not leave me stranded.
--
Howard Neil

Ditto, apart from having to replace a couple of glow plugs - in nearly 4 years and over 65K miles.
Cheers Andrew