Trooper cold start problem - Please help

Hi,
I have a Citation 3L TD 1999, and when is cold, I have to turn over the engine for ages, then it fires up and sometimes dies. When it starts,
there is a mass of grey smoke. Starting from a warm engine is fine, without any problems and smoke. The car has done 50000 miles and I have had her from new. I have had it to the garage twice, but they cant find the problem. I know the engine management system only allows the engine to start when the oil pressure has built up, but the oil pressure appears fine. I have had a total of 5 Troopers and this is causing me major problems. Thanks in anticipation. Michael.
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:38:15 +0000, michael musgrave wrote:

Don't know much about modern diesels, but I'd suspect failing glow plugs, or failing battery that can't provide the juice, or failing solenoid that increases resistance and drops voltage to glow plugs.
--Kamus
--
o__ | If you're old, eat right and ride a decent bike.

Check your glows... or check that the injectors have had their seals/sleeve replaced..see some of the topic posts on the 4JX1 injectors in this group on google groups...

I have exactly the same starting problems which began this winter, topping up the half-empty battery with distilled water helped a bit. As I have just discovered, I have one of those dreaded VIN numbers. But why did the problems only start after 4.5 years/55000 km, and why in winter, no problems when its warm? BTW the black and grey coloured smoke that comes out the exhaust when it finally starts stinks terribly! Could it be due to using 10W-40 oil? Opel keeps using it despite Isuzu recommending 5W-30 or 10W-30. I top up with the recommended stuff.
--
madiba

just a random guess off the top of my head.. since it's a seal problem with some seal materials and the solution is new seals of a different material. or new sleaves with entire new seals... so maybe when cold the seal rubber shrinks and doesn't seal... allowing oil into the fuel... or vice versa... but when warm it's expended and fills out into it's alloted slots and does the job... likewise it takes a few years for the seal to wear to the point the shrinkage affects it...

problem, guess I shouldn't wait until the service is due in July. What sort of leverage do I have here, does Isuzu replace the sleeves free of charge? If not, I'll infer that they're to blame anyway because they used the wrong oil the last two years..
--
madiba

AFAIK the sleeves are part of a recall campaign... so I'd ring the Isuzu head office for the country and ask them about recall and repairs...