Trooper smokey start

We have a 3.1TD Trooper, which is a smokey starter. All the glow plugs are OK, they all get 12V before start-up. It is exactly like the glow plugs don't stay on long enough. If you disconnect the plugs it takes a lot more spinning to start. I was under the impression that when you turn the key the glow plugs come on with the dash light then when you start the car they stay on for a few seconds more. Ours does not do this as soon as you spin the starter the plugs go out.

This Trooper has always started fine, pulls like a train but is slower than a snail in a super glue factory. It never smokes when running. One point worthy of note this vehicle has had a lot of electrical problems the previous owner worked in a Quarry and a lot of dust and corrosion has plagued the electrics.

Any one got any ideas?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wood

Have you actually checked & cleaned the glow plugs? Any soot will affect the performance. I had a slightly smoky start-up, it then went to a really smoky start-up. My head gasket has gone & you need to get it looked at quick if you want to save the head. Glow plugs only stay on whilst the light is on. Try double plug starting, as in try the glow plugs twice before starting the engine. Also, does your trooper have the hand throttle, if so open fully to start, then turn down to normal. If the smoke is blue, it's valve stem oil seals, the head gasket set is £90, you may as well fit a new timing belt if you do this job.

Cheers

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I have a '92 3.1D BigHorn (Trooper). It has ALWAYS smoked on startup normally for no more than for 3-4 seconds unless I forget which vehicle I'm driving and try and start the engine before the glow-plug indicator on the dash has gone out. In that case, its hard to start and smokes like crazy for a while. I think what you have is normal for the 3.1D - just remember to wait 'til that little lamp goes out Regards Roger S.

Reply to
Roger S.

Always do wait for light, and it did not used to do it, it still starts instantly just now it smoke for a couple of seconds and when really cold sounds like its running on 2 or 3 for a moment Dave

Reply to
Dave Wood

Mine still does that after a full head gasket replacement including valve stem oil seal & the lot!

It could be a leaking injector dribbling a little fuel into the bores & at start-up just get blown out the back.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Dave, have you tried

?

Great forum with loads more posters than here.

Nige

Reply to
Nige