Trooper starting problem

1999 Trooper with AT and approx 65k miles.
This morning I turned the key and nothing happened. The interior dash lights lit up, the interior light was fine, the battery had a full charge,
no lights left on overnight or anything like that... it just would not start.
When I say it would not start, I mean there was no sound, no click, nothing, other than a slight buzz or hum from near where the key went in. If not for the bright dash lights, I would have thought it was a dead battery.
Solution: I shifted into neutral and it started the first try. I'm guessing there is a switch somewhere in the transmission that prevents the ignition from starting if the vehicle transmission is in D or R... can anyone confirm that? Of course, no more problems since first starting it this morning.
Has anyone else run into a similar situation, and any suggestions to prevent it from happening again?
Thanks.

nothing,
for
prevent
Had exactly the same issue with my 93. Never had it fixed; the problem seemed to go away on it's own. In my case moving the shifter back and forth and then back into park reset what ever switch is in there and it would start. I'm sure there is some sort of contact switch that isn't working properly but I can't tell you where it is or how to fix it properly. At least you know you're not alone with the issue. ;-)
--

Rob

Thanks. I figured it was something like that.
Rob

charge,
the
it