tropper 98 gas engine dies in "park"

Hi All,

I've got the Check engine light on, and I found the error: 0171 and 0174 What is happening: When the shift is in drive the engine runs well. If I run the car 10-15 min, stop the engine, and then start the car again the engine dies in 3-4 sec if the shift is in park position; if I move the shift quickly in drive the engine runs well.

- I've changed the spark plugs

- I've changed the air filter and cleaned the area No improvment. Any clue?

Thanks! Val

Reply to
valdum

possibly lean fuel error, replace the O2 sensor(s), available from napa or adv auto parts for about $38

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
ecrump

When you put it in drive/reverse you?re adding a load to the engine so if it?s not idling well, or just not running right, it might die at that point. I am curious -- has this problem gotten any worse? I have a 99 trooper that has a similar problem. Codes were being thrown for the rear O2 sensors and then for the MAF sensor. It would die at stop lights and sometimes even on the highway when I took my foot off the gas. Initially it was occasional and then got progressively worse. It has 100k so I went ahead and replaced O2 sensors. No help. I replaced the MAF, which SEEMED to help but the problem returned. I found that resetting the computer (which I did during the MAF replacement by disconnecting the battery for a while) fixed the problem for a day or two and then at some point I would try to start it and it would be unable to idle. Sooo I am thinking that the sensors themselves are fine, but reporting a problem in the mixture and trying with all their might to correct the problem but failing. I am thinking there is an air leak in the intake somewhere, most likely at the intake manifold gaskets, which are notorious for cracking on Rodeos, and I assume Troopers as well. (I have a 98 Rodeo that had this problem but the symptoms were never so bad that it wouldn?t idle. Replacing the gaskets was a major @#$@!$ pain.)

"valdum" wrote > Hi All, > > I've got the Check engine light on, and I found the error: > 0171 and 0174 > What is happening: When the shift is in drive the engine runs > well. > If I run the car 10-15 min, stop the engine, and then start > the car again > the engine dies in 3-4 sec if the shift is in park position; > if I move the > shift quickly in drive the engine runs well. > - I've changed the spark plugs > - I've changed the air filter and cleaned the area > No improvment. > Any clue? > > Thanks! > Val

Reply to
dewzenol