tropper 98 gas engine dies in "park"

Hi All,
I've got the Check engine light on, and I found the error: 0171 and 0174 What is happening: When the shift is in drive the engine runs well.
If I run the car 10-15 min, stop the engine, and then start the car again the engine dies in 3-4 sec if the shift is in park position; if I move the shift quickly in drive the engine runs well. - I've changed the spark plugs - I've changed the air filter and cleaned the area No improvment. Any clue?
Thanks! Val
valdum wrote:

possibly lean fuel error, replace the O2 sensor(s), available from napa or adv auto parts for about $38
I had the same problem. Try replacing your air mass flow sensor. It is very simple to replace and not very expensive. I replace it myself. Elizabeth valdum wrote:

When you put it in drive/reverse youre adding a load to the engine so if its not idling well, or just not running right, it might die at that point. I am curious -- has this problem gotten any worse? I have a 99 trooper that has a similar problem. Codes were being thrown for the rear O2 sensors and then for the MAF sensor. It would die at stop lights and sometimes even on the highway when I took my foot off the gas. Initially it was occasional and then got progressively worse. It has 100k so I went ahead and replaced O2 sensors. No help. I replaced the MAF, which SEEMED to help but the problem returned. I found that resetting the computer (which I did during the MAF replacement by disconnecting the battery for a while) fixed the problem for a day or two and then at some point I would try to start it and it would be unable to idle. Sooo I am thinking that the sensors themselves are fine, but reporting a problem in the mixture and trying with all their might to correct the problem but failing. I am thinking there is an air leak in the intake somewhere, most likely at the intake manifold gaskets, which are notorious for cracking on Rodeos, and I assume Troopers as well. (I have a 98 Rodeo that had this problem but the symptoms were never so bad that it wouldnt idle. Replacing the gaskets was a major @#$@!$ pain.)
"valdum" wrote > Hi All, > > I've got the Check engine light on, and I found the error: > 0171 and 0174 > What is happening: When the shift is in drive the engine runs > well. > If I run the car 10-15 min, stop the engine, and then start > the car again > the engine dies in 3-4 sec if the shift is in park position; > if I move the > shift quickly in drive the engine runs well. > - I've changed the spark plugs > - I've changed the air filter and cleaned the area > No improvment. > Any clue? > > Thanks! > Val