truble installing new timing belt....HELP me plese

This is actually for a geo storm single over head cam which is the same engine in a Impulse. After installing the new belt and tightening it wants to start slipping out and rub. Almost lost the first one but luckily I shut
it down in time before it broke. Can anyone tell me why it wants to travel to the outside?