what does the Power switch do for Isuzu tran

hello,

my circa '92-94 isuzu troopers are equipped with a "Power" and "Winter" button(s) at the console which make or modify some transmission settings (automatic tran)

Can someone explain what these are used for, something other than "it gives you more power" or "use only in slippery conditions.."

does the Power mode change RPM or pressure settings in the GM transmission? How or what precisely?

Reply to
Mark D

Suprisingly not so much. I'm working on a new center console and I think I have decided to leave the damn useless things out.

WINTER: car starts out in third gear i think. low torque, less slippage...

POWER: as I currently understand it, it stays in gear a little longer, higher rpm before shifting. doesnt change the downshift points at all. crap, i dont even think it is even that useful. trust me, it does nothing.

Reply to
Kaz

Yep, winter is 3rd gear as I understand it. Never have used it - designed for very slick roads and getting started. Kinda like I once did with the old 79 Ford van, you could put it in 2nd and it would lock into 2nd. Unlike the new vehicles that 2nd gear still starts in 1st. That trick saved me from being stuck more than once.

You're right on the "power" button. Turn it on while you're driving and you'll see the difference. It will hold gears a little longer before upshifting. I found it didn't do much for our 94, even when towing an 18' travel trailer.

However, our 2002 has the same button that makes a world of difference. By default it likes to grab the next gear too quickly for my liking, and then doesn't want to back down a gear when you need it. With the power button on, it holds gears nicely (almost too long though) and will back up a gear pretty quickly when needed. I read somewhere that it supposedly makes some change in the pressure of the system...sounded like it would be bettery for the tranny too. At any rate, I just leave it on all the time in the 2002.

Wesley

slippage...

Reply to
Wesley