What is this switch for?

I have a UK Trooper 3.1D. Just behind the gear lever there are 2 rocker switches. One operates the radio aerial. The other has a little engine symbol on it. What
does it do? I've searched in the handbook but can't see any reference to it. Dennis Reynolds -- If you are expectng me to reply and do not get one within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.
Basically its a cold starting aid by way of a butterfly valve, operated by a solenoid located in the exhaust. I recomend that you DONT use it as it has a habit of jamming in the closed position. NOT recommended almost a total loss of power best advice I can give is pull the connections off the switch & tape them up
Ploggo

Not on our trooper it isn't it claims to be a ceramic heater and does not affect the valve in the exhaust. Not on ours anyway. Not only that it appears to work, the car does warm up faster, according to some people it heats the coolant. Allegedly the valve in the exhaust works to aid engine braking for off road use much as in larger commercial trucks.
Dave (I had to find out so I tested it)

You dont have a 3.1 TD if it has a ceramic heater in the jacket water

Hi Dennis, The switch operates the exhaust back pressure valve. This is a cold weather utility in the 3.1TD. When activated a circular valve (electro-mechanically operated) partially closes in the exhaust supposedly to aid engine heating. The engine increases in revs to compensate.
Re the ceramic heater, turning the heater control past the 2 o'clock position will activate this and the engine tickover will increase from about 700 rpm to 1000 rpm again to compensate for increased battery drain by turning the alternator faster.
Norman
OK, I'll be testing this when we have cold weather. The valve in the exhaust had jammed. I have striped and rebuilt it. It is operated by two vacuum pipes which go back to the engine bay. Can't trace them though. The owners manual says the switch is for a ceramic heater. There is a relay in the engine bay that says ceramic heater and this is switched by the silly switch in the car. The relay is much larger than that required to operate one of the vacuum solenoid valves used in the engine vacuum circuits. There is also a substantial fuse for the 'ceramic heater' in the fuse box. I can't understand how a valve restricting exhaust gas flow would effect the warm up at all. These are used in trucks though to assist engine braking. This is most definitely a 3.1TD
Dave