what model OBD computer for 1993 trooper

family member got a 1993 trooper, what model obd computer could I buy as a gift so he can do diagnostics (ie. check engine light) ?
suggest also an online store where I could place the order (ie. autozone,
pepboys..)
thank you!
"Sue Ellis" wrote

not sure if this would work http://www.nemisysotc.com /
Buy a Hanyes manula or even the Chilton's version and learn to pull codes WITHOUT a scanner, which quite frankly, is quite easy.
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

for the benefit of all readers, why not post your understanding of the steps or perhaps a link that explains it?
especially if it is "quite easy"
many thanks in advance!
Dan wrote:

I found this via google groups, hope it helps (the author was ayeldram with a yahoo address, no sig in original post)
** There is 3 pin plastic connector sticking our of the middle console next to drivers right foot, jumper pin 1 and 3 with a paper clip when the Key is "ON" position but truck is NOT running. The "check Engige" light will start flashing, it will flash each code for 3 times. It is a 2 digit code it will flash the first digit then pause and flash the 2nd digit, then lognger pause. e.g flash-flash-flash-flash Pause flash-flash-flash-flash would be "44". Once get the code either look at the Haynes manual or search the web for what it means.
Ignore first code, which is 12 and it will flash for 3 times. All it means it that computer is getting into the diag mode and also give you enough time to get ready to observe the real code.
By the way "44" is the one which means Lean condition which could be contributed to the O2 sensor or EGR Valve.