10,000 - 15,000 miles normal life for Pirelli P 4000 tires?

Hi,

I just took my 2000 XJ8 with 11,089 miles on it in for a oil change. The mechanic notes say both front (steering) bushings are cracked and the right front tire is worn from the inside and needs to be replaced.

The car was previously serviced in September 2003 with 9658 miles on it by the same dealer, and it has been serviced every six months since the car was purchased new in August 2000.

The bushings were repaired under warranty, but my request for a replacement tire was declined. Greg, at Jaguar Customer service

800-452-4827, says 10,000 to 15,000 miles is the expected life of a Pirelli tire on XJ8s and therefore I have already exceeded the normal minimum life.

The car really IS being driven by a little old lady (my wife).

10-15k sounds a little low, are XJ8s really that hard on tires, are Pirellis really that bad, or is Greg full of it?

Roger

Reply to
Roger

jaguar06

Yes, Michelin MXV4, but not a whole lot better on wear and a considerably higher price.

Reply to
WayneC

Pretty depressing news. Does anyone understand the tradeoffs as to why XJ8s are so hard on tires? Are these high performance tires that I don't need because the car never goes above 70 mph (eg there are longer wearing alternatives), or caused by the low recommended tire pressure, or something else?

Roger

Reply to
Roger

I have seen this topic covered in JagTalk. The P tires do wear out soon, just thought that it happened with X-Type3, due to the all wheel drive. Never heard of this in the more expensive cats. If the car is a 2000 model, check the miles and check the tire warranty with your owner's pack. The dealer was totally correct, the tire problem belongs to P, however, they could have been nicer and interceded with a tire dealer. Paul

Reply to
taltos

The 4000s are a Jaguar-specific Z rated tire and are total crap. Replace them with Michelin W rated of the same size.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I used to have a couple of e-types (67' & 68') And although most of the time I used Michelins I did put the Perilli's on the 67' for a few years and found them do be a bit better on performance. "Very Sticky" There are some really nice turns on the back of the Monzano mountains outside of Albq. New Mexico. And I could really tell the difference between the tires performance.

Reply to
Tuffchett