1969 jaguar XJ6

How do you replace the rubber gasket around the windshield. I have been to 2 different auto glass places today and got a flat out no, they will not even attempt to do this. There is nothing wrong with the glass its self, but the gasket is dry rotting. I purchased the car in March, replaced the coil twice, distributor and cap, battery, fuel filters, wheel berrings, carb rebuild kit, entire exhaust, rack and pinion. I think thats it but more will come to me. I am working on the air, windshield, wiper motor, emblems, seatbelts, and derusting the gas tanks. Oh, and my husband did readjust the timing for me. But that will change, I don't like how he adjusted it. Thanks, Crystal

Reply to
glass727

I don't understand why the glass places would not do the glass. It is a simple, basic process -- unless they can not get the rubber weather stripping.

The 1969 XJ6 uses a 2-piece seal for the windscreen. The larger piece surrounds the glass and mounts into the frame of the body. The second piece is a lock strip that locks the assembly in place. One note: You MUST use the original soft-seal caulk on these windscreens -- not the modern urethane stuff. Urethane will hard set the glass to the body and the first time you hit a major pot hole, you will be looking for a new piece of glass to replace the one that just shattered.

You need to provide the replacement rubber because that may be what is holding them up. It is a standard part at all the usual vendors. I suggest you go to the local Jaguar dealership and ask them who they use to do their glass replacement work. Those guys would most likely not be afraid to work on your XJ6.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Crystal go to O'Brian glass in any major town or city if in ozzz , they will do an excellent job pronto Pedro

Reply to
Pedro