1990 XJ6 (4.0 L) Voltage Regulator

Hello

My battery discharges if it's left connected to the wiring harness in about 36 h.

A brief (~20 minute) charge at 8 Amp restores its strength.

The voltmeter reades constant charge (about 13 V) when the engine is running.

If I disconnect the battery whilst the car is idle (e.g. over night), I can star the engine.

This leads me to believe my problem is with the wiring harness: specifically, the voltage regulator.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an economical replacement?

Regards

Richard

Reply to
Richard Short

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the voltage regulator. Even a courtesy light left on will drain the battery (have a look around the car in the dark); another possibility is a bad diode in the alternator (disco the hot lead when the car will set awhile to see if it still goes dead).

If not one of those easy things, you should have an electrical shop look at it before you start replacing stuff... they can measure current draw and pull the circuit breakers one at a time to see if the drain is on a protected circuit, and if not, check the alternator and other non-protected sources.

Reply to
WayneC

There is a simple test you can perform in order to verify whether or not you have a drain on your battery when everything is shut off or if your battery has gone bad. Disconect the negative terminal from your battery and hook up a 12volt light between the post and the terminal. make sure everything is off as if you were parking the car for the night. If the 12v light is on you have a drain if not then you have a bad battery. If the light is on start removing fuses one at a time to determine which circuit is affected . Make sure you tape the door switch so the interior lights do not come on and remove the bulb from the under hood light if so equipped.

Chris

87vdp
Reply to
Pamela and Chris