1991 Jaguar XJ6 Door Locks

Hello...I have a 1991 XJ6 and when I unlock the front door with the key or from the inside latch the rear dorr locks don'r pop up like they used to...The child safety locks are not on and the locks move up and down a bit when I unlock front door but remain locked...It started after I locked a back door manually after placing someting in the bac seat...Is there any known problems with this year for door locks???.......I hope its not this controller I have read about...Sounds expensive...I am sure its an electrical problem...Helppppppppppppppp..........Dave.

Reply to
harley_rider46

Dave, There could be any number of problems you are having with the rear door locks. The first thing you need to do is make a determination as the whether the problem is indeed electrical or whether it is mechanical. The mechanicals on these cars WILL interfere with the operation of the locks. How tightly the door closes will determine whether the door will unlock or even open. If I were facing this situation, I would take the panels off of both rear doors and disconnect the electrical connector located at the bottom of the door. I would then make sure the two fronts operate OK. From this starting point, I would plug in one of the rear solenoids. If it does not work, try to see why by looking into the now open door panel. It may simply be a matter of lubricating the mechanisms. If you still can not get the lock to operate, you are faced with the choice as to whether you want to pull the solenoid from the door. If you can get to the linkage, you can see if the solenoid is operating under no load. If you can not, the removal of the lock mechanism is a tedious one involving the lifting of the window frame in order to remove the entire assembly. At this point, I suggest you obtain a Haynes. Solenoids can be replaced by aftermarket units for about $10 each.

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve

That would be awesome; where? And are you speaking of these? -

BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Blake, Those are the ones that are the OEM type. The one's I am talking about are at

I forget exactly whichone, but I believe the "gun" types work best and will adapt. I may be wrongso you should contact the vendor. I got this from the XJ40 group atJag-lovers. Webserve

Reply to
webserve