1994 XJ6 Alternator

I have a 1994 Jaguar XJ6 and the alternator went bad. No problem, because I found one in a junkyard for $60. My problem lies in the fact that I don't know how to take the old alternator off! I've found the two bolts that hold it on, but I cannot find a tensioner to undo so that I can take the belt off and on. I don't think there is a tensioner, and I think that the bottom bolt is the one on which the alternator should pivot to take the belt off and put it back on. I simply do not know how to do this swap, and I need to find out quickly because I am trying to sell this car within the month before I go back to college (college students should never, on a whim, buy a Jaguar!) Any help is greatfully appreciated whether you know how to do the swap or if you'd like more information on the car! Thanks!

Reply to
DSHanson

Maybe your '94 XJ40 is different than mine and the one in the Haynes manual, but there is an adjustment pivot bolt right on top of the alternator that is one of the two bolts that holds it on. If you do not have this, then some one has altered the car.

Reply to
webserve

I do in fact have the top bolt too, and I just went out and took it off, so that both bolts have been taken off. I can't seem to pull the bottom bolt completely out however, since the head of the bolt runs into the fan. After taking both bolts completely off, the alternator just kind of sits there. The belt is a little bit looser, and the alternator pivots mabye

1/4 of an inch, but it does not seem to want to pivot any more. I cannot figure this out... any suggestions from this point on as to getting it out?
Reply to
DSHanson

OK, The bottom bracket that holds the alternator to the engine is held on by what appears to be 2 12MM bolts (I am looking at a photo so it is hard to tell) If you loosen these two bolts, without taking them out you should be able to cant the bracket enough to remove the other bolt. If not, you can remove the bolts all the way and the alternator and bracket should just come off easily.

They don't make it easy do they??

Webserve

Reply to
webserve