1998 XJR 3.2 Straight-Six?

My friend has just bought an XJR ('sport' ?) from an old dear. He says it's a straight-six, 1998 (or was it 1996?) XJR, and I think he said

3.2 litre.

He sometimes misses details and makes mistakes, and I can only really find information on the R being a 'charged V8. Could anybody give me details on the straight-six XJRs of that era?

thanks, Carl

Reply to
carl0s

Sorry, 3.6 litre.

Reply to
carl0s

WayneC

Carl, I think your friend is as confused as he is making us!!! In 1988, Jaguar came out with the AJ6 engine in a 3.6 liter version and a

2.9 liter version. Only the 3.6 was available in the US. In the 1990 Model Year in the US, probably a bit earlier in the UK, Jaguar upgraded to a 4.0 liter 6 cylinder and a 3.2 liter 6 cylinder. They discontinued the 3.6 and 2.9 liter engines. Again, only the 4.0 was sold in the US. (I am not including 12 cylinder engines in this discussion although they were made at the same time.)

In 1995, Jaguar came out with the XJR which was the turbocharged version of the 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine. I do not believe they came out with a 3.2 liter version of the XJR -- although with Jaguar, anything is possible. In 1998, Jaguar then went into the V-8 version of the engine which was also a 4.0 liter.

So if your friend has a 6 cylinder XJR, it is a '95, '96 or '97 (with variations since you are in the UK) and most likely a 4.0 litre.

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Not necessecarily. There was an XJ40 JaguarSport "XJR" produced in 1988-89. Maybe Carl has the wrong date. Brochure here fron Jag-Lovers. regards, huddo

John Hudson

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll go and have a look at it later. His last bit of confusion involved telling me that the 1.6L Sierra in his driveway was a turbocharged Cosworth :D

Reply to
carl0s

I was not aware of a 1988 XJR Thanks

Reply to
webserve

Perhaps you ought to advise your friend to put stripes on the car, as its a known fact that the teflon coating reduces drag and thus knocks 0.5sec of his 0 - 60 :)

Reply to
old man