86' xj6 no brake lights

I am troubleshooting a brake light issue in where none of brake lights work. All other lights do in front and back with the exception of a rear side running light.

I have ohmed the brake switch and it appears fine, but I do not see 12 volts there with or without the pedal pressed. The fuse for this if I understand the book right, is the 35 amp one? That seems a bit strange to put that on the same circuit as the transmission and relays etc.

I must be missing something unless I have two bad brake bulbs and a rear window brake light too.

Reply to
ed

Check for power at the sockets first.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

so I presume the pedal switch isn't the supplier of the 12volts? I'll check the sockets, but sure is wierd to have three bulbs fail together. (the two plus the high mounted brake light)

thanks, heading back out to the car....

Reply to
ed

well, I found some bad bulbs in other areas, but the brake light bulbs were ok and no 12 volts to the sockets even with the pedal down.

I'll keep scoping, but I am more into this fuel issue today.

Reply to
ed

update:

I ran the flashers and SOME bulbs do not work under flash but work under normal conditions. Kinda wierd, but havent gotten back into it again yet.

Reply to
ed

Well, a big part of fixing this was to find the correct switch. Apparently I have been working with the cruise-control cutoff switch all along. All I needed to do was make a slight adjustment to the brake switch and ptoblem is solved. so there you have it.....

Reply to
ed

Congrats!

Reply to